Question Thread_stuck_in_device_driver BSOD

Jun 20, 2019
Hi, rather new here.

I've been fighting with my new system for about 3 weeks fighting this error code.
I've been reading some of these forums and this place has been the most helpful so far.
Used WhoCrashed to find that dxgkrnl.sys is crashing my computer when I am gaming.
Every where I go says GPU.
I've done disk cleaning
Rolling back my GPU drivers
Uninstalling and reinstalling GPU drivers regularly, then on here found DDU and have been doing clean the last 3 times.
I've used Windows Media Tool to try and repair Windows 10 64 pro to see if that did anything. (It didn't)
Talked to a Windows agent had me revert to 1809 build. (That didn't work either)
Updated back to 1903 build.
The only thing that I've seen recommended is a clean install in Safe Mode.
And I can't do that because in safe mode AMD gives me a error 99 saying my drivers aren't signed.

MOBO - ASUS Prime 470-pro
RAM - 32 GB G.Skill 2600
CPU - Ryzen 7 1800x w/ Corsair H80i v2 liquid cooler
GPU - Radeon RX Vega 64
SSD - Pny 250gb
HHD - Seagate 1 TB
PSU - Corsair RM750x
Antec Mid tower

Any help or advise will be more than appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I guessed it was an AMD GPU just by reading error code...it follows them around.

You can't install drivers in safe mode anyway.

Have you got latest drivers for motherboard and bios as if you didn't have AMD CPU as well, I would just suggest the things you already have done. Just a thought.

Jun 20, 2019
Yeah forgot to update Mobo I’ll do that as soon as I get home today. Then another clean install.
Also forgot to add that I’ve already created the tdrdelay in registry value 8 decimal. And stopped windows auto update.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019
Well did a light stress test with out redoing my display drivers and nothing happened, I am really excited to see if this problem is fixed come Sunday when I get back to town :D

Jun 20, 2019
Didn't even make it 10 minutes.

On Sun 6/23/2019 8:50:28 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x66580)
Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0xFFFFAA89C8E68080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0331887.inf_amd64_57c98168c87ea4a1\B330881\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

On Sun 6/23/2019 8:50:28 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\062319-12781-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl+0x40C75)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFFAA89C8E68080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

My god if some one can send help please let me know how to resolve this Q.Q

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you test GPU in another PC and see if it has same errors? It could be the GPU if its never worked properly

The THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER bug check has a value of 0x000000EA. This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning. A device driver is spinning in an infinite loop, most likely waiting for hardware to become idle.

This usually indicates problem with the hardware itself, or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Frequently, this is the result of a bad video card or a bad display driver. link

Given its naming the ATI (AMD drivers) drivers in error, you know what is causing it. Just need to find drivers that work and don't cause same BSOD.