Threadripper 1950x stuttering.

matt.t.var

Prominent
Feb 13, 2018
I just completed a personal workstation build but its got a really bad stuttering problem that I can't seem to pin point. Upon boot there is often a 5-7 second long stutter that is the most noticeable. Most of the time I notice it while listening to audio, the audio will distort when the system slows down. When playing games such as Overwatch I noticed every now and again my FPS will drop before returning to normal. More recently my FPS tanked to like 60fps which in this rig shouldn't happen.

I've done the usual, reset the BIOS, updated all drivers and software, updated the firmware of any devices like my SSD. Nothing I seem to do solves this problem. The system isn't thermal throttling as far as I can tell, any time I run a stress test the highest the temperatures get is in the 50's. I'll admit its my first time doing a liquid cooled setup but nothing seems to indicate that cooling is a problem. Its basically a fresh copy of windows since I only finish the build a few days ago but this is driving me absolutely nuts trying to troubleshoot this.

Spec sheet:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gBRH9J
AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor
Asus - PRIME X399-A EATX TR4 Motherboard
G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card
Corsair - Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Solution
1. Check your temps
2. Set your proc and gpu to performance mode and not to power saving (windows control panel and nvidia control panel)
3. Disable all unneeded/unwanted background apps and services, prevent them to autostart.
4. Check for viruses, malwares, etc.
5. For online games, how is your network latency doing?
1. Check your temps
2. Set your proc and gpu to performance mode and not to power saving (windows control panel and nvidia control panel)
3. Disable all unneeded/unwanted background apps and services, prevent them to autostart.
4. Check for viruses, malwares, etc.
5. For online games, how is your network latency doing?

Solution