Question Threadripper 2950x running way too hot

sleepless-giant

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
Hello everyone,

I'm a bit deserparate with my recent Threadripper build. It is getting way too hot and I don't know why, I'm hoping some of you can help me.

For info, I am aware of the 27 degrees offset, I'm talking about the temp displayed in Ryzen master software

My CPU is at about 50-55 degrees in idle, with jumps to 60. When i first got it, it was idling at 37-45 (which is already a bit hot from what I read) and it's been getting more and more hot by the day.

I've tried, unsucessfully, the following:

- Open case for more airflow, no imact

- Max out all the fans, even with all the fans maxed out, it's still idling at 45-50 which is still too hot for the amount of airflow

- Re-install the CPU heatsink using different thermal paste application methods, from thinly spread out, to more generous amounts, no major impact. I made sure to clean everything with alcohol every time.

- Bios CMOS, reset default settings, etc. No impact

- Checked that my case fans were not put the wrong way which would cause airflow problems: nope, all good.

My only guess is that the CPU fan/heatsink is faulty? I don't see any other explanation? When I manually change the fan speed, it definitely gets noisy so it is "working".

I'm at a loss really :(

Config:
CPU: Threadripper 2950x
CPU Fan: Coolermaster WraithRipper
Case fans: Corsair ML140 x4 (2 front in, 1 bottom in, 1 back out)
Case: Define R6
RAM: g.skill 128GB 2933 mhz
GFX: Nvidia RTX 2070 super

what clock speeds are you seeing at what you consider to be idle, and, under what clocks are seen in an intense all-core load (CPU-z/bench/CPU stress is a good all core load)? (you'd need to monitor task manager and 'updates' window to make sure nothing is really occurring during the times you think you are idle...) And what core voltage at idle, and under all-core loads...

sleepless-giant

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
what clock speeds are you seeing at what you consider to be idle, and, under what clocks are seen in an intense all-core load (CPU-z/bench/CPU stress is a good all core load)? (you'd need to monitor task manager and 'updates' window to make sure nothing is really occurring during the times you think you are idle...) And what core voltage at idle, and under all-core loads...

I was so convinced that the problem was hardware it never even occurred to me that it might be software.

You're right, my CPU was at 100% CONSTANTLY, upon startup.

Tried to find the source of the issue with no success... I did a clean install of windows and now it's idling at 29 degrees, which is cooler than the ambient temperature in the room.

I suspect I must have had some sort of virus mining bitcoin on my machine. Thanks for the help !!