Question Threadripper 2990wx Crashing

Jul 31, 2019
Hello, about 4 months ago I had a pc built (2080ti, 2990wx tr, 64gb Corsair memory, msi creation motherboard). The computer was doing great, but randomly started to turn off without warning recently. It happened every other couple days. It would take about 5 min to turn back on after unplugging and no error messages popped up. From what I read it seems like it’s the power supply. I have a thermaltake tough power 1200w 80plus platinum power supply. Is that not powerful enough for my setup, or could it be faulty? It worked fine for about 4 months. They ran diagnostics at frys but can’t find anything. Wanted to know if I should get a new ps and which one would you recommend so I don’t fry all my components. Thank you!

Jul 27, 2019
could they have made an unstable overclock or something? your psu should be powerful enough to handle a threadripper i think. i've had a threadripper 2920x running on a 1000w psu with 2 gtx 1070ti's in sli.

Jul 31, 2019
It was plugged into a surge protector. Could that be it? Maybe the surge protector is failing. Now it’s plugged directly into the wall so we’ll see. I took it to frys and they said it didn’t crash for 5 days, but I know some of those techs aren’t the most knowledgeable.

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
No matter what the unknown possible issue with your components may be- plug it into a UPS power conditioner with battery backup.

Surge protectors are about 99.9% worthless as they only protect against rare massive surges- and they die after about 5 years without any warning. In all reality they are good for getting your hopes up and being a multi-pronged outlet- no more.

Jul 31, 2019
No matter what the unknown possible issue with your components may be- plug it into a UPS power conditioner with battery backup.

Surge protectors are about 99.9% worthless as they only protect against rare massive surges- and they die after about 5 years without any warning. In all reality they are good for getting your hopes up and being a multi-pronged outlet- no more.
If I get an APC surge and battery back up, what voltage you think I should get?

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
I would have to look it up- but off the top of my head most of them are done at the higher end of the scale. Right now I have one at 1100 and then probably a second one coming as soon I will need 2 PCs at a time for a while.

Basically they cater to the kinds of users who care about such things- so don't expect many low end models.

EDIT: When the models are battery backup only they tend to aim lower. I may go look some up when I take my next break- and I suspect that they go as low as 450- probably too low for all but light use.

Hello, about 4 months ago I had a pc built (2080ti, 2990wx tr, 64gb Corsair memory, msi creation motherboard). The computer was doing great, but randomly started to turn off without warning recently. It happened every other couple days. It would take about 5 min to turn back on after unplugging and no error messages popped up. From what I read it seems like it’s the power supply. I have a thermaltake tough power 1200w 80plus platinum power supply. Is that not powerful enough for my setup, or could it be faulty? It worked fine for about 4 months. They ran diagnostics at frys but can’t find anything. Wanted to know if I should get a new ps and which one would you recommend so I don’t fry all my components. Thank you!

The power supply is faulty.

If the PSU has to be unplugged and plugged back in again in order for the PSU to start, then the PSU has latched.

If it was shutting down due to overheating, you would be able to turn the PC back on right away, but it would shut back down immediately.

Have Fry's swap out the PSU for you.

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
The power supply is faulty.

If the PSU has to be unplugged and plugged back in again in order for the PSU to start, then the PSU has latched.

If it was shutting down due to overheating, you would be able to turn the PC back on right away, but it would shut back down immediately.

Have Fry's swap out the PSU for you.

The PSU is definitely the #1 candidate for the issues. You went for a full 1200 on the wattage and went all the way up to platinum- but you may have just had some bad luck with that one.

Jul 31, 2019
I solved the problem! After switching to different rooms and outlets and ruling that out, it was my Spotify app. I didn’t think Spotify would just cause my computer to turn off but it’s a known issue! Every time Spotify would run, within a couple minutes my computer would turn off and not turn back on for a while. Weird issue, but after I deleted it, re downloaded it through the windows store and allowed exceptions for Spotify through my firewall, it has not crashed and I’ve been running it hard.

I solved the problem! After switching to different rooms and outlets and ruling that out, it was my Spotify app. I didn’t think Spotify would just cause my computer to turn off but it’s a known issue! Every time Spotify would run, within a couple minutes my computer would turn off and not turn back on for a while. Weird issue, but after I deleted it, re downloaded it through the windows store and allowed exceptions for Spotify through my firewall, it has not crashed and I’ve been running it hard.

Just a coincidence.

An app is terminated once the PC is off. It's not like it resides in some ROM on your motherboard while the PC is in standby. No software, not even a fubar OS install, is going to prevent your PC from "turning on" requiring the user to unplug the PSU.

Jul 31, 2019
Just a coincidence.

An app is terminated once the PC is off. It's not like it resides in some ROM on your motherboard while the PC is in standby. No software, not even a fubar OS install, is going to prevent your PC from "turning on" requiring the user to unplug the PSU.
That’s what I thought! Spotify was enabled to launch on startup. Every time it crashed was within minutes of when I started playing music. Since I deleted the App, I’ve left it on for 5 days overnight and it hasn’t happened again. Before it was crashing multiple times a day. If you look up Spotify issues, a lot of people have had similiar problems. I also took it to a computer shop and they left it on for 6 days, ran diagnostics and didn’t have any issues because they didn’t launch Spotify. Right when I got home and played music it shut off. That’s when I realized it has to do with Spotify. Googled it and saw all the problems. If it does shut off again, that’s a different story. But so far it’s good even running heavy rendering programs like C4D while playing music with the new updated Spotify app!

Spotify crashing and Spotify preventing your PC from powering on are two different things.

Yes.. Spotify launches at startup, but you weren't even getting to the point where Spotify COULD launch.

Whatever... glad it's working now. Hopefully whatever was REALLY causing the problem doesn't come back.

Jul 31, 2019
Hahha it doesn’t make sense to me either. I waisted $160 for the diagnostic. Maybe after crashing my computer was having issues turning on right after? No clue lol. If it crashes again I’ll be back on here. Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS