Question Threadripper 2990wx Idle at 65C

Jul 31, 2019
I thought it was my power supply shutting my PC off so I replaced it. It hasn't shut off with the new Corsair, but I did notice it is idleing around 60-65c after about 15 minutes with no programs running. When I run benchmarks, the temp hits 70-75C and performs horrible because AMD bottlenecks at 68C (Cinebench score 1200). If I turn my computer off, let it cool down, then turn it on and run a benchmark while its still cold (45c right when i turn it on), the benchmark score is great (Cinebench score 12000) because its not getting bottlenecked. But after about 10 minutes, the cpu heats up and idles around 60-65. I have the x399 Meg creationMB, 64gb DDR Corsair mem, 500 ssd, Thermaltake T4 II 280 Liquidcooler. The thing worked great and ran cold while I used to do 3D work for about 3 months, but now it seems like its idleing at a high temp and It is not overclocked. I reinstalled windows as well and when i touch the cooler hoses, one is hot, one is cold. Any idea why its temp is so high? Im new to the PC world and came from a mac.

Jul 31, 2019
and full system spec? include make and model of the psu

sound like you forgot some power to the liquid cooler
I just put in the Corsair HX1200i 1200w 80plus platinum power supply. The computer shop replaced my old Thermaltake.
It is a 2990wx threadripper, 2080ti 64gb ram x399 meg creation motherboard, Enermax TRII 280

Jul 31, 2019
and full system spec? include make and model of the psu

sound like you forgot some power to the liquid cooler
The liquid cooler is running. Can feel the hot and cold hose along with the radiator fans.
I think it’s been running hot like this for a while which might of caused the random power offs. I replaced the PS just to be safe and rule it out

TRENDING THREADS