[SOLVED] Threadripper boot loop without POST ?

Jan 23, 2021
Hi,

I assembled a PC last May 2020 and it has been working perfectly till Jan the 6th 2021 when in the middle of my work the computer started resetting in a loop and it has been unable to POST since then.

PC SETUP :
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960x CPU
  • CoolerMaster ML360RGB AIO CPU cooler pump
  • MSI Creator TRX40 motherboard
  • 256GB 8x32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX
  • 2xMSI 2080Ti TRIO 11GB GPUs
  • 2xSAMSUNG EVO970+ 1TB
  • PSU EVGA 1600p2 Supernova 80plus)
Since that day I have been troubleshooting with both the motherboard and PSU manufacturers and after doing all the tests described below I have to come to this place for further support since CPU is the last component in my PC to be tested. At this point I seriously think there must be some problem with the CPU, something I fail to understand since I didn´t change anything in the computer before the outage. I have run the following tests:

• I have reseated all components in my PC including DIMMs, cooler, motherboard and CPU. I have done this in 2 complete different motherboards.
  • I have placed DIMMs in all possible slots and combinations according to the motherboard manual. I am now only working with 1 DIMM in the recommended slot
  • I have successfully flashed BIOs with latest driver and 2 other older versions several times from the USB flash button since I cannot enter in the BIOS menu
  • I Disconnected the CMOS battery for 1 hour and I have cleared CMOS many other times using both jumper and on-board button
  • I have removed all non essential components and cables from the motherboard and I have neither drive nor GPUs attached (plugging a GPU changes nothing). All connectors from motherboard to the box are unplugged. I only keep the 2 8 pin CPU power connectors, the CPU fan, the pump fan and the ATX power connector plugged into the motherboard
  • I replaced my motherboard MSI TRX40 creator by an ASUS zenith II extreme Alfa and the result is exactly the same boot loop sequence: 00 b4 3E b8 82 14 15 C8 CC C0 C8 C4 E1 F6 EA 11 15 F5 07 04 33 99 33 60 90 C2 79 89 and restarts again
  • The motherboard leds light on and off in a sequence from Memmory to CPU and VGA and then memmory again and POST is never sucessful.
The only thing I could not test further is the CPU since I don´t have a TRX4 threadripper backup

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thank you,

If the results are the same with two mainboards, I'd say it's time to consult with AMD on their warranty coverage for a $1400+ CPU......

(NOTE: when you replaced the PSU, did the modular cables go with it? Please...Do NOT mix/match them unless you are 100% positive it was an identical model...)

Reactions: Daykono
Jan 23, 2021
I used the cables coming with the new Psu which was a complete different model BTW. I didn't mix anything. I have contacted AMD but no answer yet for the last 3 days. Any advice to get their attention?

Jan 23, 2021
I used the cables coming with the new Psu which was a complete different model BTW. I didn't mix anything. I have contacted AMD but no answer yet for the last 3 days. Any advice to get their attention?

Well, last Tuesday I received the confirmation from AMD that RMA was received, accepted and a replacement shipped to me. Yesterday I received another mail with the tracking number. Let's see how it works when I receive the new part.

Keep you guys posted

Jan 23, 2021
Dear all,

the issue has been solved. AMD shipped back to me a new processor 6 days after RMA application and it works just fine.

So, it was the CPU. Mistery solved!

Now the only thing I would like to know is how a perfectly working CPU turned damaged without any intervention, no overclocking, no power outage. I was just saving a file and the computer died. So weird

Cheers and thank you all for your help!