Question Threadripper Cooler Enermax TR4 ¿leaking?

t_and

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
Hello,

A couple of years ago I setted up a PC for Rendering with your help.

Here the final set up: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/t_and/builds/

To my surprise, yesterday I looked at the top of the graphic card, and on top of a bit of dust it looks like there was some kind of liquid (but already dry). When going over with my finger it feels kind of "greasy"

Here a couple pictures:

img_20191105_180709_ed-jpg.12888

img_20191105_180715_ed-jpg.12889

There are several places. Some are under the cooling block, but some are not (as you can see on the second picture). What could it be?

I thought puting a piece of paper on top of the graphic card (as seen online to check leaks) to see if it keeps leaking, but is it really safe to have a paper (easily inflammable) inside the box? How could I prove it?

Thank you very much folks.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
There are known issues with those lines of coolers from Enermax. Most of us who reviewed them originally did like them, but longevity is difficult to test without putting in 100's of hours of usage.

If you Google, you will find a lot of information about this on the web.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9ikp03/enermax_official_response_to_liqtech_12_tr4/

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...fter-a-year-edit-number-2-died-today.2553475/

Steve from Gamers Nexus also covered this in a few videos:

t_and

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
Thanks a lot for your reply @rubix_1011

I thought it could be a leak but the position of some drops didn't make any sense to me, and looks like it dropped before but not anymore. Still, sure not a safe thing to keep it there if it's giving problems to many people.

Is it somehow possible to ask for a refund of the money? As you mentioned and I could also check, even the rev. edition is also giving problems :S

When I bought the system, this was the only proper AIO cooler that covered the entire TR surface. Is there something now doing the same?

Thanks a lot!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
So did you actually ask them and inquire about an RMA or you are assuming they will say it is your problem?

Even if they say 'it is your problem', you still need to find out first. Do you have some fear of them giving you this response?

t_and

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
Hi,

Of course I asked them. I've waited for a week already and even sent 2 emails. But no answer. I'm trying via Fb or I'll call this week.

For what I've seen so far, the Corsair H100i Platinium might be only +/- suited AIO Cooler to replace the Enermax, what do you think? Even if it doesn't cover 100% of the surface, seems many people are using it with TR and it works.

Thanks!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It works fine. It's an AIO and it's cheap and compatible with the socket as long as it says it supports TR4.

Outside of that, I have a hard time really recommending an AIO over a good air cooler for similar price....which is usually in elite/high performance air cooling territory.