Question Threadripper DDR4-3200+

Neckername1

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
I am looking to build a system with a second gen threadripper (2950x) and am looking at memory. I know xmp is only for Intel and people say AMD has a similar feature. But I have heard of memory issues. Since I am building a very high end system that will benefit from DDR4 way above 3200mhz, can anyone tell me which, if any modules above that speed work? I am looking to build a system with 32gb of DDR4-4000.

kanewolf

Titan
First remember that Threadripper is a quad memory controller CPU. Getting a matched set of four DIMMs will maximize your performance. The benefits above 3000 - 3200 diminish compared to the costs. Rather than super expensive memory, you might benefit more by having 64GB or slower RAM. You have to look at the use-case for this PC to determine which could be more productive.

Neckername1

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
I have at least one 2080 to planned for this build and the goal is the best 4k and vr experience possible, price no object for this project. I have seen many benchmarks that show (some) games running at 4k. On average from what I have seen on Tomb Raider, and similar games, is that going beyond 3200mhz can yield an average of 10+ fps increased over systems with 3200 mhz versus the 4000mhz gskill dimms I saw. I also know how to flash memory profiles if I can copy one but that is only on Intel systems.

TRENDING THREADS