[SOLVED] Threadripper for Rendering and Daily usage

Mar 19, 2021
Hello Guys!

So I am looking for mine potential Workstation for Daily usage and in same time Rendering hard scenes.
I am CG/VFX Artist where have working on Creating 3d, - like modeling simulations lighting.... Compositing...almost all processing I am doing on mine current PC

My PC is
CPU 4930k 6 core 3.4-3.9Ghz
GPU 1080 Ti
RAM 64 Gb 1600 Mhz

for super hard scenes even where need a lot of RAM I am using mine friend Servers, because its not way load 200Gg Ram Memory on mine PC.

so I decided update mine 7 years old PC, I am actually have 2 identical PCs ... I think if I am have only 1 PC, I ve been updated mine PC earlier...

So I am looking right now for Threadripper and I am about to stuck I want it so powerful but in same time daily working on it

So Candidates Iam see its 2 CPUs

3995wx - 64 core 2.7Ghz-4.2Ghz
3975wx - 32 core 3.5Ghz-4.2Ghz

I knew so difference is 30%... so is this is worth it have this 30% but slower per CPU clock speed... I mean is that really that bad on working/creating/building processing...
and Yeah mine 6 core 3.4Ghz and its looks like downgrade to 2.7Ghz working environment... I know in Houdini and even Nuke have nodes where support only 1 core... and I am pretty sure its going work on lowest 2.7Ghz.. because another core with 4.2Ghz also busy with something different...

I am also read some stuff about Threadripper 3995wx its really bad because its have really low Clock speed... and looks like sweet spot is 3975wx ... but I want found out that... is that really true... or not...
I am read CGDirectors post and they are said viewport performance especially in Cinema4D is lack or even working so bad, but is that maybe GPU problems or so...

so General Question is what to get.
first time I try make build like this

CPU 3995wx
RAM 256-512Gb
GPU 3090

and yeah basics software is Houdini, Maya, Nuke.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
@CountMike so You mean if I am start doing anything and start load something... 1 core receive full ~4.0-4.2Ghz, and rest are get 2.9Ghz ...
Depends on what software is asking for, Sometimes like that but when there is heavy load on all cores then all will boost to some value again depending on load, If it's single core task then only one core will boost to maximum.
When OS is idle (about 1-2% load) most cores will go to sleep and some will be even bellow starting frequency.
That's how all modern CPUs work.
Mar 19, 2021
@John Chesterfield 2.7Ghz its base and when its need boosting up to 4.2Ghz, and I am not sure if it on all cores... I can just guess... but I know when all cores in action whole system use 2.7 Ghz on each core... I saw some videos when guys modeling sculpting its using single core and yeah its boost when its needed - close to maximum.

Hello Guys!

So I am looking for mine potential Workstation for Daily usage and in same time Rendering hard scenes.
I am CG/VFX Artist where have working on Creating 3d, - like modeling simulations lighting.... Compositing...almost all processing I am doing on mine current PC

My PC is
CPU 4930k 6 core 3.4-3.9Ghz
GPU 1080 Ti
RAM 64 Gb 1600 Mhz

for super hard scenes even where need a lot of RAM I am using mine friend Servers, because its not way load 200Gg Ram Memory on mine PC.

so I decided update mine 7 years old PC, I am actually have 2 identical PCs ... I think if I am have only 1 PC, I ve been updated mine PC earlier...

So I am looking right now for Threadripper and I am about to stuck I want it so powerful but in same time daily working on it

So Candidates Iam see its 2 CPUs

3995wx - 64 core 2.7Ghz-4.2Ghz
3975wx - 32 core 3.5Ghz-4.2Ghz

I knew so difference is 30%... so is this is worth it have this 30% but slower per CPU clock speed... I mean is that really that bad on working/creating/building processing...
and Yeah mine 6 core 3.4Ghz and its looks like downgrade to 2.7Ghz working environment... I know in Houdini and even Nuke have nodes where support only 1 core... and I am pretty sure its going work on lowest 2.7Ghz.. because another core with 4.2Ghz also busy with something different...

I am also read some stuff about Threadripper 3995wx its really bad because its have really low Clock speed... and looks like sweet spot is 3975wx ... but I want found out that... is that really true... or not...
I am read CGDirectors post and they are said viewport performance especially in Cinema4D is lack or even working so bad, but is that maybe GPU problems or so...

so General Question is what to get.
first time I try make build like this

CPU 3995wx
RAM 256-512Gb
GPU 3090

and yeah basics software is Houdini, Maya, Nuke.

Thanks in advance!
Frequency is not primary "thing" with processors like that. They will boost up to rated boost frequency on one core and rest of cores some 200MHz lower depending on load. What you get is large number of cores and great memory handling with above average FPU (math co-processor).

Reactions: cool1986vfx
@CountMike so You mean if I am start doing anything and start load something... 1 core receive full ~4.0-4.2Ghz, and rest are get 2.9Ghz ...
Depends on what software is asking for, Sometimes like that but when there is heavy load on all cores then all will boost to some value again depending on load, If it's single core task then only one core will boost to maximum.
When OS is idle (about 1-2% load) most cores will go to sleep and some will be even bellow starting frequency.

Solution
Mar 19, 2021
I know its not 3995wx but its really is brother
and on this I am super stuck...

However, if this is your only PC and you plan to work on the machine, I’d think twice.

The viewport performance isn’t that promising, indicating that it wouldn’t be as snappy an experience as is possible with mainstream CPUs such as the Ryzen 3900X or the Intel i9 9900k.

Even while benchmarking the processor and playing around with it for a while, the viewport navigation experience was less than optimal.

so I see they are struggle with
Cinema 4D Viewport Performance Benchmark Scores

than I trying find mine CPU there

https://www.cgdirector.com/cinema-4d-viewport-performance-benchmark-scores/

where is
3990x -714 scores
3930k -656 scores (10 years old CPU)

so I see mine CPU 4930k its almost 99% same chip as 3930k and have less scores then 3990x ...

Thank, yeah I get it this concept, its even super power efficiency

Last edited:
@John Chesterfield 2.7Ghz its base and when its need boosting up to 4.2Ghz, and I am not sure if it on all cores... I can just guess... but I know when all cores in action whole system use 2.7 Ghz on each core... I saw some videos when guys modeling sculpting its using single core and yeah its boost when its needed - close to maximum.

Mike has explained it perfectly above, that's how it works.

TRENDING THREADS