Question Threadripper help

May 12, 2019
Hello everyone I'm a new member and not so much a new computer enthusiast however this is my first AMD build and I'm at a point where I'm about to RMA everything and run straight back to Intel but before I do that I decided what the hell I'll reach out to a forum for help because prior to this I was extremely excited to bud a threadripper machine.

So on to what's happening.....

I decided to build a pretty Overkill cad cam workstation on Windows 10 to run solidworks and other design software. I bought a brand new so for system specs I purchased:

- TR 1920x
-noctua TR cooler
- X399 Gigabyte auros gaming 7 motherboard
-gigabyte 1080ti
-some ripjaws V DIMMs
-2 nvme SSD to run in raid 0

Upon getting everything in I got it all installed in my case and got the raid setup running and the bios setup for it. I used Rufus and a USB 3.1 drive to install Windows. Everything went super smooth on 2 8GB DIMMs with XMP running at 3600mhz. I used cinebench and Aida64 to benchmark and stress test and everything was fine downloaded my solidworks and started working everything is GTG, aweaome.

In the mean time I decided to install my other 2 DIMMs in quad channel. Upon doing so the XMP profile wouldn't work so I set it to stock 21xx speeds and it was fine in quad channel however with the speeds so slow my benchmarks we're actually worse in quad channel than in dual channel so I custom set it to 3000mhz which seemed to boot and run fine.

I came home from work on Friday to find my desktop frozen so hard reset the computer. From there I have not been able to boot since. I can get into bios perfectly fine so I reset bios, reset cmos, I can read my ram perfectly my CPU temps are good. But as soon as I try to boot from any media it completely freezes up.

At this ointI pulled everything off the board no SSD, removed the 1080ti and stuck in an old Radeon silent card that requires no extra power it's just the cpu, a stick of ddr4 and a simple GPU. Again bios is fine and works beautifully. The other thing is I can boot from a USB into Memtest or ubcd for debugging tools. But I can't boot windows or Linux from a USB it just falls on it's face.

So I decided to start replacing things.

I bought a new power supply thinking maybe 500 wasn't enough so I went with 750. No luck. I replaced the ram. No luck. At this point I even bought an overnight x399 aurosxtreme motherboard for $500 on Amazon so it's a completely new motherboard, ram, and PSU. And it's doing the exact same freaking thing. I can boot into Memtest and run my CPU all 24 threads full blast and see the temps go up to 65c so I really have a hard time believing it's a bad cpu, but I have another 1920x coming from Amazon tomorrow so I'll report back. But this entire experience is super frustrating and I'm wondering what the issue could be? Has anyone had any issues like this before? What was the resolution. Any help would be awesome!

The kind of memory configuration you describe would not be guaranteed to be compatible together. Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other configurations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together.

You describe using multiple kits of memory, new RAM, replaced the RAM but never list a part number or link to it.

May 12, 2019
I had the computer booted up and running for a few days on a single kit of ram. How could it go from being perfectly compatible 1 day to not compatible the next?

May 12, 2019
And again the ram is recognized in bios so it's definitely comparable. Upon running Memtest it's functioning without any errors as well.

I bought a second kit of ram just to try it. I was not mixing the 2 kits.

May 12, 2019
Just as an update because I hate ppl don't follow through on forum debugging posts. I swapped out the Processor today with the new one and it booted right up. Something was definitely wrong with the original CPU from the factory because I was immediately able to enable the XMP profile in quad channel with my original memory kit. It's all been running for a few hours now on prime95 with no issues. Actually it did have an issue with the Intel wirelss driver that produced netwtw04.sys bsod but that was an easy fix.