Threadripper Lands August 10, AMD Unveils Pricing, Accessory Kit, New 8-Core Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_245

Reputable
Jul 30, 2017
Seems clear to me they're setting up the x399 for dual socket enthusiast boards. That would be a fun system to play with.

InvalidError

Titan

Dual ThreadRipper doesn't make much sense as that would be about on par with a single socket EPYC and likely cost more. Also, since AMD designed EPYC to only be capable of dual-socket and decided to use a slightly different socket for TR, I'm guessing that pins that were dedicated to supporting multi-socket and extra IO on EPYC got re-purposed for something else on TR, such as extra power and ground pins to help support higher clock frequencies.

InvalidError

Titan

One word: binning.

AMD likely set aside the very highest-clocking dies under 90W a piece for TR, which is why so few R3/5/7 manage to get beyond 4GHz on air cooling and reasonable TDP.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Overheating while speeding up a single core? Really?

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
For 100usd more~ than the top ryzen. enthusiasts who may also game, can get a real computer (albeit a "mere" 8 core) like the big budget guys.

Combined with a sibling vega gpu, quad channel ram, plenty of lanes & nvme ports... - its a very powerful foundation for serious work and play.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Well, you can look at Epyc reviews, FWIW.

It really depends a lot on what you want it for. Some things will scale to multiple dies just fine, while others won't. If you're not sure and can't find comparable Epyc benchmarks, then play it safe and wait for the reviews.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008

XFR works with up to 2 cores. Still it's of limited use. If you're buying a 16-core CPU to run dual core workoads, you're doing it wrong.

G

Let's be honest here. The best purchase here from performance (Gaming, General Content)/price point of view is this new 8 Core. You get Quad Memory Channel and 64 PCIe. Everything what is holding x1800 is in this platform and also gives you future proof rig for new CPUs.

My money goes to a new 8 core, and most people will buy that and this is where is AMD going to f. up Intel big time. It is not 12 or 16 Core...those can only few afford.

G

Speaking of performance of new 8 core. It will sit between new Intel 8 and 10 Core, close to 10 Core performance.

SupaSped

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Does anybody know whether the 4 chipset PCI-E lanes mean we only(!) have 60 lanes to play with, or the CPU provides 60 lanes and the chipset provides 4, giving us 64?

Duchess_1

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
Just like ferrari's, most people dont need them and use them to their full capacity but everyone dreams of ownimg one:)

Steve_245

Reputable
Jul 30, 2017

I agree, but there are always niche products like Skulltrail and the SR-2 that show up. Overly expensive compared to their usefulness, but still some market for them.

rothbardian

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015

I think it's 60 lines available to the user: Usually 48 for graphics cards (16 + 8 + 16 + 8, or 16 * 3) and 12 for NVME ( 4 * 3), up to motherboard manufacturer. The other 4 go to the chipset.

rothbardian

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015

All 64 lines out of the CPU are PCIe 3.0.
What is not clear is if the x399 chipset will offer PCIe lanes of its own. I imagine it will, to connect things like on board networking, sound cards, etc. Those will probably be PCIe 2.0, similar to x370, as those things don't need high bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.