Threadripper Prep - Assigning Cores To Certain Apps For Multi-tasking

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Hello all,

I am awaiting the last piece I need to get my Threadripper machine up and running. Should be here tomorrow :)

I run a small project studio where I do video editing/rendering with Vegas Pro, Audio Production with Reaper, and I do some gaming on the side as well. Here is my current setup, just replace the motherboard, cpu, and I will be adding the NZXT Kraken x62 inseatd of the Corsair (long sotry on that switch up).

I have been doing a ton of reading/research the past 2 weeks about Threadripper. I will admit, I am learning a ton as I go, as I was always one of the people who simply thought more cores meant everything was faster, but I am now reading more and more about scaling across threads and cores and how in gaming, less cores = better performance.

I am a pretty heavy mutli tasker, and with Threadripper I would like to be able to rendering video and play a game at the same time, or maybe stream a game session using a lot of the CPU just to test out some configurations. I like tinkering a lot, so I want to learn the pros and cons to everything I can.

I started reading up on assigning certain cores to certain programs so you can split your workload and multi task, and I am curious about it. So far, I have only seen one method for doing this, and that is to launch task manager, right click a program, goto details, then 'set affinity'.

Is this the best/only way to do this? Or are there applications that have better results? And how do you know what cores to assign to what? I really don't know much about how a CPU processes things as far as the science and math behind it go, and I am interested in finding out as much as I can about it.

Thanks in advanced for any replies!

Solution
There's no need to do that now. In the past it was necessary to split things up manually but not any more. Windows and usually the programs will take advantage of the cores and split things up for you. That is unless you turn off auto scheduling in Windows. If you think that it isn't scheduling things correctly you can go set affinity yourself and assign cores to processes. This will guide you through the process to make the affinity permanent. https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/40339-cpu-affinity-shortcut-program-create-windows.html.

indsup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
There's no need to do that now. In the past it was necessary to split things up manually but not any more. Windows and usually the programs will take advantage of the cores and split things up for you. That is unless you turn off auto scheduling in Windows. If you think that it isn't scheduling things correctly you can go set affinity yourself and assign cores to processes. This will guide you through the process to make the affinity permanent. https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/40339-cpu-affinity-shortcut-program-create-windows.html.

Solution

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into that tutorial. I'm not sure how Threadripper is going to behave yet, as I have not gotten my biuld put together yet. So I'll know me l now in the next few days.

Thanks!

You just need to assign a max amount of cores whatever program you are using to render can use and you are good to go. This is all to do withing the program normally. Windows will do the remainder for you as it will assign unused cores to other applications that require them.