[SOLVED] Threadripper Pro 3955WX or the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X?

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
What is the difference between the AMD Ryzen Threadripper, Pro 3955WX, 16 Cores, 32 Threads, 4.3Ghz and the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 16 Core, 32 Threads, 4.9 GHz.

I mean both have the same cores and threads and the cheaper 9 5950x has higher GHz, so what are you getting extra with the Threadripper? It's more expensive than the 9 5950x, so what do you get for that?

I have only recently discovered Threadrippers so want to know/learn about them and their advantages? I hope to get a computer with one in the furture for gaming, photo &
editing and all digital arts so want to begin to learn about them now.

Thanks.

Solution
The 5950x is based on zen3 architecture, the 3955x is based on zen2. This combined with the higher clockspeed from the 5950x, the 5950x will perform better for most desktop applications. 5959x is also unlocked for overclocking where threadripper pro is locked.

However, threadripper pro is orientated at a different market than Ryzen. It is more meant for workstations and had more features that may be useful there. Things such as 8 memory channels instead of 2. You can run more ram at a faster bandwidth. Additionally threadripper pro has more pcie lanes for running additional pcie devices. Also, it has registered ecc ram support for stability.
amount of pcie lanes from threadripper is much more then on ryzen (120lanes threadripper vs 20 ryzen)
and octa memory channels (vs dual channel ryzen), but for 16cores u dont need octa channel, it comes handy with more cores
it has bigger footprint, so its easier to cool it down

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
amount of pcie lanes from threadripper is much more then on ryzen (120lanes threadripper vs 20 ryzen)
and octa memory channels (vs dual channel ryzen), but for 16cores u dont need octa channel, it comes handy with more cores
it has bigger footprint, so its easier to cool it down

So in regards to gaming and workloads the lower GHz of the Threadripper doesn't matter because of pcie lanes and octa memory channels? I only ask because I was told more Ghz is better for gaming in relation to normal CPUs.

So in regards to gaming and workloads the lower GHz of the Threadripper doesn't matter because of pcie lanes and octa memory channels? I only ask because I was told more Ghz is better for gaming in relation to normal CPUs.
gaming is low threaded...so u kinda need cpu speed there
low threaded gaming also means low memory bandwith
extra pcie lanes are good for tons of nvme storages or networking

What is "Networking in this respect?

How many nvme storages would be ok for this Threadripper to hold/manage?
network card 100gb pcie 3.0 x16 or 2port 100Gb pcie 4.0 x16 without bothering GPU or other devices

Also can I ask, who would use a Threadripper? What professions and applications?
pretty much anywhere normal gaming PC isnt enough, those CPUs have massive L1 cache and tons of ram size with massive bandwith, its a step up from normal PC...so if you doing something heavy on CPU and normal CPU cant keep up, workstation is your next step (xeon or threadripper)

gamers can use it aswell for gaming + streaming + recording + video editing in UHD all in same time

The 5950x is based on zen3 architecture, the 3955x is based on zen2. This combined with the higher clockspeed from the 5950x, the 5950x will perform better for most desktop applications. 5959x is also unlocked for overclocking where threadripper pro is locked.

However, threadripper pro is orientated at a different market than Ryzen. It is more meant for workstations and had more features that may be useful there. Things such as 8 memory channels instead of 2. You can run more ram at a faster bandwidth. Additionally threadripper pro has more pcie lanes for running additional pcie devices. Also, it has registered ecc ram support for stability.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS