[SOLVED] Threadripper question

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
Hi guys

I'm looking at these two Threadrippers 3960x and 3970x
The 3960 has a base clock 3.8Ghz boosting to 4.5GHz
The 3970x has a base clock 3.7GHz boosting to 4.5GHz

My question is to what extent is the base clock relevant? If the CPU is under heavy load won't the boost kick in anyway. In which case they both will have the same clock speed under a workload that requires them to boost.

My current CPU 3700X has base clock of 3.6GHz and boosts to 4.4GHz. It spends most of its time around 4.4 GHz on all 8 cores.

I need a PC for work to munch through some very dense datasets.

Cheers, Andrew

Solution
Okay but of the temps are okay will it run at the bost clock speed all the time?
If it's anything like it's Ryzen 3000 cousins, then:
On light loads, the active threads will/can be seen boosting to the advertised boost clock.
On heavy, or all thread loads, all active threads will instead ATTEMPT to boost towards that same advertised single, depending on thermals.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Okay but of the temps are okay will it run at the bost clock speed all the time?
If it's anything like it's Ryzen 3000 cousins, then:
On light loads, the active threads will/can be seen boosting to the advertised boost clock.
On heavy, or all thread loads, all active threads will instead ATTEMPT to boost towards that same advertised single, depending on thermals.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi guys

I'm looking at these two Threadrippers 3960x and 3970x
The 3960 has a base clock 3.8Ghz boosting to 4.5GHz
The 3970x has a base clock 3.7GHz boosting to 4.5GHz

My question is to what extent is the base clock relevant? If the CPU is under heavy load won't the boost kick in anyway. In which case they both will have the same clock speed under a workload that requires them to boost.

My current CPU 3700X has base clock of 3.6GHz and boosts to 4.4GHz. It spends most of its time around 4.4 GHz on all 8 cores.

I need a PC for work to munch through some very dense datasets.

Cheers, Andrew
4.1 is the all core boost speed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...the-desktop-pc-processor-market/#68ae0bd35458