[SOLVED] Threadripper with 3 GPU's

May 23, 2020
I'm planning out a new rig, and will be utilizing GPU quite a bit for simulation and rendering. The point of this rig is for creating content in 3D animation/visual effects software. I'm pretty novice with hardware building, and am looking for some advice on a MB and case that could fit 3 GPU's.

660ti 3gb - Old card, but seems like it would be fine for the viewport
1070ti 8gb - for sims and rendering
1080ti or Titan RTX - TBD on which card I will get, but it will be something big for the 3rd card

This is the rest of the build I've come up with so far. I'd like to figure out if these 3 cards would fit with this ASRock TRX40 Creator ATX sTRX4 MB and The Enthoo Primo case, or the Enthoo 719 case? And is it possible to have this setup with just air cooling?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hMfj9G

Cheers!

Solution
Thanks for the reply. I'd figured this might be ok since each of the cards would be used independently. The way Open CL sims work in my 3D program, Houdini, you can only use one card to sim, and one card for viewport. So they dont depend on eachother. Not totally sure how GPU rendering works in redshift, but I was assuming that you could use one of the cards independently as well, and avoid bottlenecks
No the key problem you run into is after 900series the gpu's no longer support sli. 1000 series and newer run on nvlink. So the 660ti probably wouldn't even link to the 1070. For one for two the key problem you run into is all system use the weakest gpu as it's basis. So using a 3gb 660ti the max the other gpus would preform is...
I'm planning out a new rig, and will be utilizing GPU quite a bit for simulation and rendering. The point of this rig is for creating content in 3D animation/visual effects software. I'm pretty novice with hardware building, and am looking for some advice on a MB and case that could fit 3 GPU's.

660ti 3gb - Old card, but seems like it would be fine for the viewport
1070ti 8gb - for sims and rendering
1080ti or Titan RTX - TBD on which card I will get, but it will be something big for the 3rd card

This is the rest of the build I've come up with so far. I'd like to figure out if these 3 cards would fit with this ASRock TRX40 Creator ATX sTRX4 MB and The Enthoo Primo case, or the Enthoo 719 case? And is it possible to have this setup with just air cooling?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hMfj9G

Cheers!
So trying to pair the 660 ti with the other cards will lag the system majorly with that cpu especially. As for mix matching gpu's it's not a good idea at all to begin with. It will one with the mixture of generations cause decoding issues between three different cards particularly because they use different decyfer coding and programming.
Generally you only want two max cards in a system due to one power consuption two heat and three system stability. As for the build you have selected seems solid. Just dont mix match you gpu's

May 23, 2020
Thanks for the reply. I'd figured this might be ok since each of the cards would be used independently. The way Open CL sims work in my 3D program, Houdini, you can only use one card to sim, and one card for viewport. So they dont depend on eachother. Not totally sure how GPU rendering works in redshift, but I was assuming that you could use one of the cards independently as well, and avoid bottlenecks

No the key problem you run into is after 900series the gpu's no longer support sli. 1000 series and newer run on nvlink. So the 660ti probably wouldn't even link to the 1070. For one for two the key problem you run into is all system use the weakest gpu as it's basis. So using a 3gb 660ti the max the other gpus would preform is the standards of the 660ti so only 3gb's gddr would be active on all cards and the gpu decoding like i said may cause problems cross gpus series

Solution
May 23, 2020
Ok gotcha. So If I wanted to get the Titan RTX, could I even still use my old 1070ti, or would that just create problems getting the most out of the Titan RTX?

May 23, 2020
And just to be clear, Houdini FX (my 3d software), cant use SLI or Nvlink. You can only use 2 cards, if one is used for the viewport and one is used for openCL simulations. And you set up which does what in the env variables

And just to be clear, Houdini FX (my 3d software), cant use SLI or Nvlink. You can only use 2 cards, if one is used for the viewport and one is used for openCL simulations. And you set up which does what in the env variables
Yes it still will cause an issue the problem with it is, saddly it comes down to id you have a 1070 ti. The titian wont get past the proformance of the 1070

May 23, 2020
One more question about this... So now I'm wondering if it would be possible to buy the Titan RTX, and also buy something smaller but still current, like an RTX 2060 with 6gb vram. Use the 2060 for mainly viewport, and the Titan for the heavy sim and rendering.

Would this work, or I'd still be limiting the Titan?