Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_cb7

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I have a 750W Corsair PSU. When gaming with my i7 920 @ stock and SLI GTX 260s, I haven't come close to 400watts, according to my UPS. If you take the number the UPS gives and factor in the efficiency of the PSU, the power draw is much less. I've seen up to 360 watts with TF2 and Test Drive Unlimited 2 so far. Although running burn tests on GPUs and CPU will draw much more.

Running Bionc on CPU and F@H on both GPUs, I draw 441 watts with ALL components under HEAVY load. That's 100% on all CPU threads and GPUs. 1000W is enough for a lot of components.

I also idle at 189 Watts with SLI enabled.

Chewie

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
Call me a noob if you like, but I didn't realise using 230V was more efficient 115V. I guess that's a bonus for those of us down under.
I just wish I could afford the kind of components that would require this kind of PSU.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Chewie[/nom]Call me a noob if you like, but I didn't realise using 230V was more efficient 115V. I guess that's a bonus for those of us down under.I just wish I could afford the kind of components that would require this kind of PSU.[/citation]

can someone explain this to me, because i dont get it.

tuhinz

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

Its got to do with varying efficiency at different voltage levels.

Consider the following:
Power(P) = Voltage(V) X Current (I) X Power factor (Cos phi)

Now for the same amount of power transfer, at lower voltages, the current required is more (See the equation below):
P = V1 X I1 X Cos phi1 = V2 X I2 X Cos phi2
(Substitute for V1 = 230, V2 = 115, neglect the slight difference in Cos phi1 & Cos phi2)

The losses are given by :
H =I^2 X R X t (where R is the resistance of the current carrying conductor, t is time)

Thus losses increase in proportion to the current squared.

So you have higher losses (hence lower efficiency) at lower voltages.

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
"Max. temperature difference air intake to outlet - less is better "
where's the logic in this?
bigger temp difference means the cooling system is more efficient and it takes the heat away from the components. why is air temp so important to you? If you cannot measure temp from inside the psu case (the components) why bother with air temp?

tuhinz

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

You can't switch between the two. US & Japan & some S. American countries (IIRC) use 115V while the rest of the world uses 230V. PSUs meant for both markets often have a switch and you need to set it to the correct voltage for your country and plug it in. Many modern PSUs will often have a large input voltage range spanning both the voltage levels so you won't find the switch in them (My Corsair TX650 for instance).

billcat479

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
I agree that the choices are very poor. I've used PC Power and Cooling supplies for a long time and have never had a problem with them. And I've had exceptional reliability with my computer because of the solid voltage/current supply from these power supplies.
Many computer mags plus other sites have recommended this brand for rock solid current/voltage tests including one of the best for low noise and very high current demands with no voltage drops.
They cost a bit more but in this case you get what you pay for. Their caps are HUGE compared to other power supplies. Though now that another company has bought(OCZ I think) them they may loose their industry rating they used to have and are not being as well built as before.
I've seen enough of this, like Fluke who used to make top quality meters now have most of their products made in China and I'd never give them any vote of confidence. I know this because of a friend of mine worked there as product engineer and saw how they were going downhill. When They were merged with the Danahur corp (not sure of their name spelling) their quality has gone into the gutter.
It's how it is in these times of high profits first, quality last.
But so far I've had very good results with my 750W PC Power and cooling supply.
Have seen enough people complaining about video card problems that can be traced back to the power supply they use. I've never had any prob. with my hardware. You need a PS that has very little or no surge drop of the current/voltage and low noise levels. PC Power has been tops in this area and is the only PS I would recommend to my friends.

billcat479

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
I agree that the choices are very poor. I've used PC Power and Cooling supplies for a long time and have never had a problem with them. And I've had exceptional reliability with my computer because of the solid voltage/current supply from these power supplies.
Many computer mags plus other sites have recommended this brand for rock solid current/voltage tests including one of the best for low noise and very high current demands with no voltage drops.
They cost a bit more but in this case you get what you pay for. Their caps are HUGE compared to other power supplies. Though now that another company has bought(OCZ I think) them they may loose their industry rating they used to have and are not being as well built as before.
I've seen enough of this, like Fluke who used to make top quality meters now have most of their products made in China and I'd never give them any vote of confidence. I know this because of a friend of mine worked there as product engineer and saw how they were going downhill. When They were merged with the Danahur corp (not sure of their name spelling) their quality has gone into the gutter.
It's how it is in these times of high profits first, quality last.
But so far I've had very good results with my 750W PC Power and cooling supply.
Have seen enough people complaining about video card problems that can be traced back to the power supply they use. I've never had any prob. with my hardware. You need a PS that has very little or no surge drop of the current/voltage and low noise levels. PC Power has been tops in this area and is the only PS I would recommend to my friends.

Who ever is doing these reviews, you are an idiot, this is undeniable for me after reading this. Its time for you to go spend some time reading the FAQ's over at Jonnyguru before you even touch another power supply.

You ignore when units fail ATX spec by having too much ripple on the 3.3V rail, you say the OCZ unit is the cheapest at $205, then 2 pages later say the rosewill is cheaper than the OCZ at $220, you ding the rosewill unit for having 47% efficiency at 2.5% load, no one designing a PSU even cares about a load percentage that low, and then you say the Sparkle cannot get up to the theoretical maximum of 120A between its 12V rails, its max is 1250W(104A) not 120A which would be 1440W, you made the noob mistake of adding the rails not looking at the combined power.

Go look at the jonnyguru review of it if you want to see a real review of the sparkle and not this farce.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=212

Intel has said in the past the CPU needs it own 12v rail. They suggested this due to power noise caused by other high power parts like GPU's. I wonder what these single rail PSU mean for stability? In an overclocked system this instability could reduce overclock stability. I would suggest none of these PSU's.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I agree that the Corsair AX1200 is a glaring absence in ANY high end PSU review. I have one and it is absolutely awesome quality and power. Unbelievably efficient too (and it lives up to its rating)

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Glad to see that Rosewill is finally becoming a contender, they have come a long way, couple years ago, i used to shy away from anything that had the Rosewill name on it but now they seem to be doing ok...

G

Tom's: I've been reading you for years, your articles are second to none... but almost every time you do one of these "comparisons", unless it's a two-horse race, you seem to pick three arbitrary items, omitting the clear leaders, and any other quality hopefuls. Where's Coolermaster? Where's BeQuiet? Where's Antec? Where's any Corsair products? It was the same with the Memory comparisons. It was the same with the SSD comparisons where you omitted the Patriot drives, which POUNDED your similarly-priced test SSDs at half the price. The article, as it stands, was great.. Only, once again, I'm left without a clue as to how it compares to any kit I've played with. When compiling a test, either test the MAJORITY of the options, or at least include the STATS from those not tested, along with your opinion as to whether they're reliable, based on your experience. Ta!

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I don't think there is enough wharrgarbl going on in this article's comment section. Seems like the high end PSU crowd is a touchy bunch. I guess the number of watts factors into the e-peen rankings more than I thought.

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
bad choise of units.
Lets see psu's from seasonic, enermax, pc and power cooling, corsair.
these are high end. the brands here and crap.

I was very disappointed.
On the OCZ:
"The Z1000M's performance is impressive on paper." So is an Apevia Warlock's, or a DiabloTek (with HEAT PIPES even!).
"The ripple test values are outside the specification on the 3.3 V rail" = FAIL. Simple as that.
"The bottom line is looking quite good for the OCZ PSU and its single-rail design." No, it isn't. See above.
On the Rosewill:
Nothing remarkable here. If my choice were limited to these three, probably the one I'd buy. Thankfully, there's Antec and Seasonic out there; and Corsair (made by Seasonic) and Enermax.
On the Sparkle:
"three floppy connectors might actually almost be too many." You think so?
"We could not reach the theoretical maximum of 120 A over the six rails in our tests, since the voltage of the individual 12 V rails was already below the ATX specification limits at 113 A" //TILT// The PSU specifies a combined maximum of 1250W on the +12V rails, which is 104A. Rails are NOT simply additive!
I agree with hunter315. Please read the tutorials at HardwareSecrets also.

soulbro

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Question - why are so many of you upset that there are no PSUs included in this review that are already known to be great? If you know it's great, why do you need yet another confirmation of it?

I, for one, applaud the effort to review less popular PSUs whose reliability and quality are unknown or suspect. How else will we find out what they're really like?

Thanks, Tom's!

Status
Not open for further replies.