Three 4K Monitors and 2 GPU's (NO Nvidia Surround)

Ngale

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014
Ok, I am still trying to figure out how this works. Let's say I have three 4k (or any other res. for that matter, but let's assume 4K) monitors and 2 GTX 980 Superclocks, If I have the cards in SLI, would I hook up one to my primary monitor for gaming, and have the second one split between the other two? Would that still allow me to play games on my primary monitor with the benefit of the SLI, or would it just utilize the single graphics card connected to the primary monitor, and the second dispersed between the other two? All gaming would be on the one primary monitor (NO Nvidia Surround), the others would be for editing/recording software, etc. I hope this makes sense.

Thank you!!!

Xyos

Distinguished
It does not work like that. The load is split evenly between the two cards. Also the notion of 3 4k monitors is just monstrous. Running 1 game at 4k takes at LEAST 2 980's or 2 780-ti's and even then it cant max out most games and maintain 60 fps. Even rendering the desktop of a 4k screen is taxing, its essentially 4x 1920x1080. So no you cannot do that, and running 1 4k monitor let alone 4 is tremendously taxing on the GPU.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think that is quite the question.

Two 980s should be 'okay' for a single 4K screen when gaming, which is the OP's intent.

When you aren't gaming, your configuration for multiple monitors won't matter much at all, as long as they show up in Windows to be configured and display properly. Nvidia Surround is basically used only in gaming, so leaving it off would still default to only the primary monitor when a game is launched.

Xyos

Distinguished
Sorry I should of clarified better. When I said "you can't do that" I meant dividing the load of monitor rendering between each GPU (GPU1 for monitor 1, GPU2 for monitor 2) which I believe is what you asked? They split the overall load equally, even if the other 2 monitors are not in surround mode rendering 3 4k monitors (with 1 rendering a game) is very taxing.

Ngale

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014

Thank you. Would I still get the benefit of the SLI,on that one monitor, or would it be lessened and dispersed between the other two, even though there aren't games running?

Thanks!

Ngale

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014

Ok, thanks. That helps with my other question, XD.

When looking at reviews for just one 4k monitor w/ a reference 980 sli, the more graphic intensive games are between 25 (Crysis 3, which I have no intention of playing) and 70 fps. So if I were to have 3 4k, I should expect a bit less than that?

Btw, this is all hypothetical. I'm not actually buying 3 4k monitors. XD

I do want three monitors though, so what res. would you recommend for a 3 monitor setup (24"-28" screens)? Would a primary 4k or 1440p and two 1080ps on the side work?

Thanks!