Three Aftermarket Graphics Coolers On GeForce GTX 480

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Wow, I can't believe the Accelero and the Zalman were basically neck and neck, with no tangible victory in cooling. I always thought the Accelero would be better, but Zalman actually pulled this one off.

However, what would be AMAZING, is to have a follow-up to see which of these two solutions work best in SLI, assuming EITHER work well in SLI. I think that is the big question, especially since we never expected bad temps.

[strike]Also can you please add the voltages used for each overclock? It might give people, especially stock GTX 480 owners, a better idea of what these can handle, since cards will always vary when overclocking.[/strike]

Holy ***, stock voltages! That is crazy! Please post up your VID (stock voltage) for us. Either you have a golden GTX 480, or the VID is a lot higher than it needs to be, which is pretty common.

Great article, I love to see these kind of side articles/reviews, and it was well done.

Nerdbox87

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Given that this entire article is based on cooling you really should have included all GPU temps - as vram / vrm cooling may be the difference between the Accelero and the Zalman (as I know my Accelero Twin Turbo on a 5850 struggled with vram temps in Furmark)

On this my guess would be the Zalman would smash it

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
How was the 480 at just under 60C when my 470's are always idling at 86C in a Antec twelve hundred..?

I mean sure this case isn't the best cooling case but there's never really much hot air in the case and with a sidepanel fan blowing on the two cards i just cant see how.

Unless.. you guy's test in a cool room at about 15-20C or the fan speeds are maxed 100% of the time.

Th-z

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Don, what is your view on how to apply thermal paste. There are numbers of ways people talk about: a pea in the middle, several peas, line in the middle, several lines, and old school spread method. You use spread method when you apply the RAM/VRM sink on Zalman, I presume you use the same method on other parts, too. Maybe Tom can do a comparison test on different ways of applying thermal paste.

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
These look good and would help me out quite a bit with a 465/470, but I wish I could get them in a design that would help maintain the existing footprint. My GF100 doesn't run quite as hot as some reference card designs, but that sure as hell doesn't mean that I'm happy with the leaf blower lurking in my case. Maybe I find a way to make the Zalman work.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I think the Zalman one wins here. It performs slightly better, costs slightly less, weighs less and is shorter than the Arctic cooler. As for noise they're trading blows. Being shorter, the VF3000 does not increase the length of the GTX 480, unlike the accelero which may theoretically cause incompatibility with some cases. Being lighter, it strains the PCB much less. The fact it performed so close to the Arctic cooler with only 2 fans surprised me.

waynewarrior78

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Zalman VF3000F: My 2 cents...

I have its twin brother for ATI. I must say its an amazing cooler. I use it with the stock heat plate on the 5850. I hit 1ghz easy and I prob could push it harder if I wanted. The best part is I can barely hear it even when its on full blast.

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]How was the 480 at 65.8*C (you might want to try reading better) when my 470's are always idling at 86C in a Antec twelve hundred..?I mean sure this case isn't the best cooling case but there's never really much hot air in the case and with a sidepanel fan blowing on the two cards i just cant see how.Unless.. you guy's test in a cool room at about 15-20C or the fan speeds are maxed 100% of the time.[/citation]
60*C is the CHANGE VS AMBIENT. This means how much hotter it is vs the ambient temperature. Assuming a 20*C room, that means they hit 85.8*C on load.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]Th-z[/nom]Don, what is your view on how to apply thermal paste. There are numbers of ways people talk about: a pea in the middle, several peas, line in the middle, several lines, and old school spread method. You use spread method when you apply the RAM/VRM sink on Zalman, I presume you use the same method on other parts, too. Maybe Tom can do a comparison test on different ways of applying thermal paste.[/citation]

I used to to do the spread, but in comparison to the dot in the middle method, it's a PITA. And I remember one time I couldn't get a heat sink on properly and had to take it off, using the dot method, and it actually spread quite well. In either scenario I can't imagine the temperature vary by more than a couple degrees Celsius.

zcubed

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
The VF3000F is great. I got one for my GTX 470 which was idle at 44C and around 80-85C load. Then again I wasn't doing it any favors having overvolted it to 1.087v and clocks at 850/1700/1900. The stock fan was horribly loud and still getting very hot even without overclocking/volting so I got the Zalman and threw it on. 33C idle and 63C load with the fan at the lowest setting! Great job by Zalman and I managed to get the memory clock to 1975.

zcubed

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Stock clocks for my GTX 470 are 607/1215/1674. So the gains are pretty good and the 70 for the Zalman VF3000F was well worth the decrease in temps and sound.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]How was the 480 at just under 60C when my 470's are always idling at 86C in a Antec twelve hundred..?[/citation]

Do keep in mind that our temperatures are listed as the DELTA (difference) between ambient and the GPU.

Having said that, idling at 86 degrees is high. Are you talking Celsius? We are...

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Th-z[/nom]Don, what is your view on how to apply thermal paste. There are numbers of ways people talk about: a pea in the middle, several peas, line in the middle, several lines, and old school spread method. You use spread method when you apply the RAM/VRM sink on Zalman, I presume you use the same method on other parts, too. Maybe Tom can do a comparison test on different ways of applying thermal paste.[/citation]

Nifty idea!

For the record, I use the old-school spread method. I prefer to use a very thin, even coat... the amnount of thermal paste should be as little as possible to do the job. You want to maximize contact between the GPU and block, not put a barrier between it.

Status
Not open for further replies.