Three AMD 990FX-Based Motherboards For Enthusiasts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

I have dual 560 Ti's in there now so that is not an option. I was considering pulling all of the sinks and applying some AS5 I have. It isn't an issue at the moment but when the room hits 80F this summer it could be.

rojodogg

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Thank you for the article I was really suprised that the same 990fx boards could be so far apart in performance areas. I learned alot and that is what I appreciate from Tom's!!!!!!

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
I can't believe the conclusion is worry over $5 differences in price - if you are that tight on $ then you can't afford to be an enthusiast . . . . either that or lay off the Starbucks for a couple of days :)

I agree fully! Geez, stupid molex power is just stupid...

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

Agreed, but i usually have most of my fans(except CPU fans) to a static rpm so all i would need is a PWM splitter

Everyone of your posts is the same thing. Please stop that.

I thought it was just me... I do not think he realizes you are a moderator...

I am a moderator......when did that happen......

PLAY ALONG MAN!!! :D

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]Onus[/nom]Hmmm, it seems to me someone considering a $160 board would readily choose the ASRock at $190. The bracket and extra cables and extra SLI Bridge are probably worth another $25 anyway.[/citation]But it's not going up against any $160 boards, it's going up against a $138 board and a $145 board. It might have won at $160 with a $22 price delta over the $138 board, but it wasn't going to win at a $52 price delta. Just to be clear, $52>$25.

All posts the same? Then it's a spammer; kill it with fire.

Fair enough on the price then; if it's that big a jump, then it's a different class of board and doesn't belong in this group.

anonymouss

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Would be nice to see how low end mobos stack against these, like 760G or 880G based ones..
Every mobo review I watch is about things with same specs, I dont know why? For example I know exactly how a 7850 does vs a 7950 but with mobos there are no comparisons.

The mobo typically makes little performance difference, BUT older AMD mobos may very well suffer performance penalties due to much lower MT/s frequencies. I agree that it would be worth a short article, how much difference does it make?
Also, such older motherboards may also be limited to 95W CPUs, or simply not have the VRM capacity to support high overclocks.

Why wouldn't they? The 900-series chipset is all for socket AM3+, although ASRock has an abomination that they call a 970 even though the Southbridge is actually a 710 rather than the 950.

cravin

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Ok let me rephrase that what one would work best for overclocking a fx 8320 or 6300. Only single gpu, and i'll overclock the ram as well.

For overclocking, I'd look for a board from Asus or Gigabyte, possibly ASRock. MSI has a history of using weak VRMs that pop under load. Find one that has heatsinks on the VRMs. It doesn't have to be a 990FX, but those are most often the "enthusiast" boards with more overclocking options. They're also the ones that support multiple geaphics cards, which from your perspective may add cost without adding benefits. There are a fair number of 970 boards that would be acceptable as well. This ASRock for $85 is probably the cheapest one I'd consider: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280 although for only $10 more I'd expect this Asus to be better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131873
Prices go up from there. The ASRock Extreme9 is back at $160 now.
Overclocking the RAM may not be worthwhile; I don't recall any article showing more than a few percentage points' difference.

michaelmouse

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Since I don't do gaming, I'm not interested in a separate video card, I just need the video on the motherboard. I am not seeing any 990 amd boards with HDMI out because they have no video on board, I guess. Is there such an animal? Maybe later...? Thanks Mickey

michaelmouse

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Do you know if any company is making 990 AMD motherboards with video on board? I don't need the extra graphics and need the HDMI onboard out put. [HTPC build] Thanks Mickey

Status
Not open for further replies.