Three beeps on new build!

joeryan161

Honorable
Aug 31, 2017
Hey all, thanks for reading. Just built the below system for a friend.

Intel Pentium G4600 3.60GHz Socket 1151 3MB Retail Boxed Processor
Asrock B250M Pro4 Intel Socket 1151 mATX Motherboard
Crucial 8GB DDR4-2133 UDIMM Desktop Memory
EVGA 450 BT 80+ BRONZE 450W power supply
Asus R7 240 2GB DDR3 graohics card

So i have built many systems in the past mostly without issue or at least an issue i couldn't resolve myself pretty quickly.

So as stated i built the above system for a friend, upon start up just hit with three beeps, a short pause then another three beeps, three beeps on post mean bad ram right? I tried the ram in all four slots but was hit with the same result ..... Three beeps then pause, three beeps then pause on a loop.

I took a 8GB stick of ram from my own system again hit with three beeps, i tried my ram in all four slots but just got the same result.

Anybody got any input please? Anything i could try?

Thanks in advance. :)

Solution
I feel like such an idiot! .... Because i broke the stock cooler trying to get it back off to check for bent pins on the mobo i obviously couldn't turn the system on without a cooler on the CPU to do some troubleshooting, i ordered a cooler and it came the next day.

Unplugged absolutely everything from the board that was not required to boot and sure enough the system booted, i then proceeded to re-plug everything back in one by one trying a boot each time, it wasn't until i got to the case front panel UBD 3.0 plug that i again got the three beeps! .... It was at that point and with closer inspection that i noticed i had been plugging the USB 3.0 plug into the wrong socket! ... Plugged into correct on and all is fine.

I feel really...

joeryan161

Honorable
Aug 31, 2017
Hi, yes my memory is CT8G4DFS8213 and on that list.

Yes it does sound memory related but it even does it with my own memory installed or if it has no ram in at all .... This is what is confusing, if i put my ram in and it worked i would know for 100% sure the ram module was faulty.

Also the pins on the motherboard looked fine.

Aside from option that you did not push the ram sticks far enough (not likely considering how many times you did that, but had to mention), it looks like they 'forgot' to connect motherboard ram slots to chipset - no matter how stupid that sounds. Of course, CPU failure could not be excluded, but in that case I would expect no beeps at all with ram installed.

joeryan161

Honorable
Aug 31, 2017

I have done that twice now, checking for bent pint both times. All looked fine.

So RAM is ok. Now you have to decide between mobo and CPU - and my call is motherboard failure sounds much more likely.

joeryan161

Honorable
Aug 31, 2017
Yeah, my call is the motherboard too. I have already been in contact with the site i purchased it from to RMA the mobo.

Thanks for all the input, i will respond with the outcome shortly.

Thanks again. :)

joeryan161

Honorable
Aug 31, 2017
I feel like such an idiot! .... Because i broke the stock cooler trying to get it back off to check for bent pins on the mobo i obviously couldn't turn the system on without a cooler on the CPU to do some troubleshooting, i ordered a cooler and it came the next day.

Unplugged absolutely everything from the board that was not required to boot and sure enough the system booted, i then proceeded to re-plug everything back in one by one trying a boot each time, it wasn't until i got to the case front panel UBD 3.0 plug that i again got the three beeps! .... It was at that point and with closer inspection that i noticed i had been plugging the USB 3.0 plug into the wrong socket! ... Plugged into correct on and all is fine.

I feel really dumb! .. All the systems i have built and this is a first lol.

Anyhow thanks for all the reply's.

Solution

And into which socket you did plug this USB initially that it fit? For further reference if anyone manages to do the same.

joeryan161

Honorable
Aug 31, 2017

Well it is supposed to go into the socket i have marked blue but instead, at first i had it at the bottom plugged into the pins i have marked red(see below image).

https://imgur.com/a/czjNu