Three Blue Screens in Four Hours

thesnowleopard782

Prominent
Nov 28, 2017
So, I moved some game files last night. When I booted this morning I got a blue screen halfway through a youtube video. IRQL not same or equal.

I ran a memory test. No issues found.

Second Blue Screen appears: FLTMNG.sys was all I was able to copy before my system rebooted. Ran a check of all system/windows folders. No corrupted folders.

I reinstalled my video driver as the issue came up around the time of this drivers use.

I was checking some games to see if putting load on the GPU would cause these blue screens to appear.

Guild Wars 2 crashed several times.

World of Warships crashed to a blue screen with PFN List Corrupt as the tag.

I'm going to re-evaluate my system/windows folders to see if I can't find any issues this time around.

What confuses me, is that I never moved any system folders. All of my windows and system folders stayed on the same drive.

I have no clue what's happening here and I would really appreciate any help that comes my way.

Solution
create a new local account and mess around a bit without using any programms which were installed before BSOD issues or rather, try using ur PC in safe mode for a while;
disable virtual memory aka page file & disable hibernation feature
see if you plugged in your RAM cards properly or see if they're not damaged or something;
see if your HDD is healthy; update/downgrade its firmware or maybe you actually formatted the drive with an incompatible File system or whatever;

there is loads of stuff to try, honestly.

deepudeepu99

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017

Try Reset BIOS, and refresh your windows (if the BSOD isn't related to hardware components)
Also make sure you've all parts in your motherboard properly seated.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
since you only moved files last night, pretty sure thats unrelated to your issues right now.
sounds more like a driver issue to me tho. maybe a windows update ran right before you shutdown your computer last night. windows 10 updates tend to have a habit of causing problems for drivers and/or applications.

you can visit your motherboards support site. download and reinstall drivers. start with your chipset driver. BIOS update may be necessary.

thesnowleopard782

Prominent
Nov 28, 2017
by refresh windows, do you mean reinstall windows?

Edit: Updated bios. I should mention, this is a very old rig we're talking about here. This is an Optiplex 755 that I stuck a 1050ti, a q6600 and 6g's of ram. The system was very stable for about a month. I added two gigs of ram, a hard drive, and then moved the files. I really don't think ANY of these things should have an affect on my PC's performance. As for now, I've updated the BIOS. Gonna run some CPU testing (cinabench, p95, ect.) if everything goes smoothly I'll try running a few games to see what happens. High hopes here.

deepudeepu99

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017

Sort of, without deleting your files. Learn more here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/17085/windows-8-restore-refresh-reset-pc

If windows 10, go for reset and you'll be asked whether to delete your files or not..

I don't know about Win 7, don't really think we can reset without keeping files on win 7.

Also, what's the BSOD error code?

thesnowleopard782

Prominent
Nov 28, 2017

So I ran P95 for no more than five minutes and it gave me a new BSoD DPC Watchdog Violation.

The previous codes in order of occurance are as follows:
IRQL not same or equal

FLTMNG.sys was all I could get from the second code before reboot

PFN List Corrupt

Going to refresh windows.

deepudeepu99

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017

Try resetting your BIOS, and ensure proper cooling.

Dec 11, 2017
create a new local account and mess around a bit without using any programms which were installed before BSOD issues or rather, try using ur PC in safe mode for a while;
disable virtual memory aka page file & disable hibernation feature
see if you plugged in your RAM cards properly or see if they're not damaged or something;
see if your HDD is healthy; update/downgrade its firmware or maybe you actually formatted the drive with an incompatible File system or whatever;

there is loads of stuff to try, honestly.

Solution

jake15ulery

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Well this is SnowLeopard here, resetting windows seemed to do the trick. Either I somehow messed up something in the directory by moving files or like mentioned above it's quite possible that windows did not complete an update thoroughly enough and ended up with some corrupt files. 15 Minutes of P95 CPU and Ram testing showed no problems. Cinabench ran just fine scoring just under my usual in both CPU and OpenGL tests. (233 CPU and 38.33 FPS for those interested in the benchmarks of such a rig) I just finished a run through of some GW2. So now comes the long haul to see how long till I get another blue screen, if ever. Thanks for the help mates, dell pretty much told me to stop using windows 10 so the help here has been immense. Thanks again. :)

jake15ulery

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

I'm glad you mentioned cooling, she runs pretty hot. P95 can see highs of 81C. I have additional fans added to ensure good airflow as she is an open faced rig at the moment. But for all intents and purposes, she runs just fine now. :)

deepudeepu99

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017

Happy to help :)

deepudeepu99

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017

have you tried the drivers that came along with your graphic card in a CD rather than going to the nvidia site? what does it say when you try to install the drivers? Have you tried resetting your BIOS/refreshing your Windows again?

(Also, are you going for the Pentium G with the B250 mobo? Just wanted to know and help there a bit ;) )

jake15ulery

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

No, with GPU, Ram, and OS prices. I'm just going to buy an AM4 socket prebuilt, with 8gs ram, rx570, and a ryzen 5 1500. Its just going to be considerably cheaper for me and I won't have the issues I'm having now or have to worry about compatibility.