[SOLVED] three capacitors leaked on motherboard

zakitc

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014
Well, they have elevated tops and brown spots, but computer kind of works (there was other issues software mostly so hard to say). Owner doesn't want to buy a new computer. This is one is very old - new one would be 50-60 pounds and waay better. But that' s her choice. What is the worst what can happen if I leave them as is? I am not - but likely scenarios out of curiosity..

Solution
The worst is that the CPU or other component will get fried. Otherwise the system will get more and more unstable with time up to the point of being useless.
To be honest, it’s not worth the risk and trouble to use a mb with blown capacitors. If it’s an old computer it should be easy to find a used one for cheap.

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
The worst is that the CPU or other component will get fried. Otherwise the system will get more and more unstable with time up to the point of being useless.
To be honest, it’s not worth the risk and trouble to use a mb with blown capacitors. If it’s an old computer it should be easy to find a used one for cheap.

Reactions: zakitc
Solution

zakitc

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014

Thank you. It's so old that it is not worth my time and work, because the difference between used new one and fixed this old one is 10 pounds. Considering that new used one will be 10 times faster and powerfull than old one after fixing.
Thank you again for information.