Three Displays, One Laptop? Razer’s Project Valerie Shows Promise, Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Definitely neat, but it's very much a solution in need of a problem. There's no GPU(s), especially mobile ones, that can game on three 4K monitors. If you're reliant on an external GPU dock, then you're greatly limiting the portability already anyway and should just save money and buy some external displays. If this was for productivity instead of gaming, this is a totally viable thing and I could see people really wanting/using this. But no one looking for a mobile productivity/workstation laptop is going to buy something that looks as gaudy and "gamer-y" as a Razer anyway.

So, neat proof of concept. But that's about all.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
Having all three be 4K seems absolutely silly. I could've understood making the middle 4K, and the two sides 1440p. Assuming the GPU doesn't have to run the outside displays when they're not "deployed", that'd be manageable. Would've also helped trim costs and improve battery life.

As for balance, a little stand that flips out below could help, as no one is going to put out the out displays while on the go, so if it can be stabilized on a desk, that's all that matters.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
A pretty cool concept. A bazillion problems, but still pretty cool. As someone who owns 2 GTX1080's I can tell you that 3 4k displays is a bit much in terms of gaming even w/ g-sync. 3 x 1440p's would've been much more efficient. I even read a review at OCD over the summer with a similar desktop and 3 g-sync 1440ps that totally rocked.

The 'portable desktop' phenomenon still seems to be getting thought of though. For portable workstation that could be pretty neat.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
This is old, i could I sworn I saw this on youtube over a year ago as some stupid name like SlideNJoy. Did Razer buy the company or patent for this or something?

danvelopment

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
I think it's time we start talking in MP when discussing displays with 8K around the corner.

8K becoming 33MP, 4K being 8MP, 1080P being 2MP etc.

At 1MP maybe that'll finally put the nail in the coffin of 1366x768 laptops. 720p doesn't sound like it's half the resolution of 1080p.

Saying 12K for this is a bit silly, and implies a higher resolution than 8K. And if it's allowed to be used interchangeably with normalised aspect ratios then it should be binned entirely.

Maybe they could make one with two half size displays that open and close like double doors.

danvelopment

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Or at least return to using vertical resolution, as this would be still be 2160p, and apparently no different to 2160p of 4k.

Three permanent screens just doesn't sound viable. I'm pretty sure Razer would have an easier time putting a DisplayPort out on the laptop, then sourcing compatible G-sync portable displays. Besides, isn't Razer supposed to be a peripheral company?

Maybe supplementary mobile gaming monitors should be their thing? Portable displays actually exist, so you just modify a couple to match their 15.6" and 17.3" laptop profiles correctly. It could be a whole line that mainstream people might be interested in. This seems a lot cheaper with a lot lower chance of major problems and more potential applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.