Three Drive Letters for One DVD+/-RW Drive

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I have only one DVD+/-RW drive in my [Acer Aspire 1712SMI]
"laptop" computer. Yet my Windows Explorer/PowerDesk file
management software (XP Home) shows three drive letters E: F:
and G: seemingly associated with this drive. Only Drive E: shows
as full when I put in a CD or DVD.

The drives are labeled as: "DVD-RW Drive (E:)", "Removable Disk
(F:)", and "Removable Disk (G:)"

Can I use Partition Magic to get rid of the drive letters F: and
G:, or do they serve some purpose?

Thanks,
John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 07:14:49 -0700, John <john@nospam.net> wrote:

>I have only one DVD+/-RW drive in my [Acer Aspire 1712SMI]
>"laptop" computer. Yet my Windows Explorer/PowerDesk file
>management software (XP Home) shows three drive letters E: F:
>and G: seemingly associated with this drive. Only Drive E: shows
>as full when I put in a CD or DVD.
>
>The drives are labeled as: "DVD-RW Drive (E:)", "Removable Disk
>(F:)", and "Removable Disk (G:)"
>
>Can I use Partition Magic to get rid of the drive letters F: and
>G:, or do they serve some purpose?
>
>Thanks,
>John

I guess I'd better leave well-enough alone. In Device Manager, I
have, under Disk Drives: Maxtor USB device and St3120022A and
USB card reader and USB card reader combo.

Sorry I bothered you.

John

Do you have a USB Thumbdrive or a Media Card Reader? Both of these will
show up as Removable Disk. Also, plugging in a Camera or Printer with a
Disk reader in it will show that as well. I doubt that your DVD Drive
is being recognized three times. I looks more like you have external
hardware connected to it.

Nathan McNulty

John wrote:

> I have only one DVD+/-RW drive in my [Acer Aspire 1712SMI]
> "laptop" computer. Yet my Windows Explorer/PowerDesk file
> management software (XP Home) shows three drive letters E: F:
> and G: seemingly associated with this drive. Only Drive E: shows
> as full when I put in a CD or DVD.
>
> The drives are labeled as: "DVD-RW Drive (E:)", "Removable Disk
> (F:)", and "Removable Disk (G:)"
>
> Can I use Partition Magic to get rid of the drive letters F: and
> G:, or do they serve some purpose?
>
> Thanks,
> John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 20:36:05 -0700, Nathan McNulty
<525676@betaweb.com> wrote:

>Do you have a USB Thumbdrive or a Media Card Reader? Both of these will
>show up as Removable Disk. Also, plugging in a Camera or Printer with a
>Disk reader in it will show that as well. I doubt that your DVD Drive
>is being recognized three times. I looks more like you have external
>hardware connected to it.
>
>Nathan McNulty
>
>John wrote:
>
>> I have only one DVD+/-RW drive in my [Acer Aspire 1712SMI]
>> "laptop" computer. Yet my Windows Explorer/PowerDesk file
>> management software (XP Home) shows three drive letters E: F:
>> and G: seemingly associated with this drive. Only Drive E: shows
>> as full when I put in a CD or DVD.
>>
>> The drives are labeled as: "DVD-RW Drive (E:)", "Removable Disk
>> (F:)", and "Removable Disk (G:)"
>>
>> Can I use Partition Magic to get rid of the drive letters F: and
>> G:, or do they serve some purpose?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John

Yes, you are right, Nathan. There are spots for flash memory
cards to be plugged in. Evidently, the computer considers these
as "drives." Thanks.
John