Three Fan's One Tower. How Should I Position?

JTHarden

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
I recently built my first Gaming PC that I've always wanted before Fallout 4 comes out (prays the Lord). I have a Cougar Spike Micro ATX mini-tower, I will get a new one later but I'm on a budget now, and this tower came with one 120mm unspecified cougar fan. I recently bought two more Nzxt FN V2 120mm fans and will be getting another soon. Until the time comes for me to get another fan what would be the best way to get a nice positive air flow through my mini tower. I just put them a second ago and put one of the NZXT's in the front as an intake and the other replacing the stock Cougar fan, which i moved to the bottom side panel so it will hit my Sapphire Radeon graphics card. I figured it would be good there because it only has about an inch to the bottom of the case for circulation. Basically I'm wondering if the way i have it now is good or if i should put the intake and exhaust fans in different places. I'm assuming the NZXT fans are good where they are at, but the Cougar fan, should it be moved to intake towards the CPU or leave it where its at blowing on the Graphics card. I would greatly appreciate the help!

Also, When i get the new fan what should I do with it?

Solution
One at the front to draw in cold air, one at the back to blow out hot air, and one on the side or top drawing in air.

Put the NZXT's at the front and back and the Cougar on the side.

JTHarden

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015

Awesome thank you , one last question, if I leave the cougar fan on the bottom as intake which is directed at the Video Card, when i get a new one, which will be above the Cougar facing my processor, should I have it as an intake or exhaust?
Thank You

datguy20

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
I'd say make the rear fan exhaust, everything else intake. Assuming I read that right, I would say make sure you have at least 1 intake and 1 exhaust before anything else.

If you want to be anal about the best flow, you can test load temps with different fan configurations until you find the best one. Chances are, that's just a waste of time though.

IAmTheTofu

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014

All the side fans should be intake, as well as the front and bottom ones.

All the rear or top fans should be exhaust, as hot air rises.

TRENDING THREADS