Three Haswell CPUs to Ship With BGA Socket & HD5200 GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I could see this being useful on laptops or all in one systems. 5200 integrated graphics would be OK for a few games on lower settings. On Desktops though? No way.

nmodin

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]I could see this being useful on laptops or all in one systems. 5200 integrated graphics would be OK for a few games on lower settings. On Desktops though? No way.[/citation]

I actually play WoW and EVE on my dev machine, a MacMini 2009 (C2D, 9400M). Not on a very high resolution or with any fancy settings on, but it works. But o/c, it won't suffice for any games that has been released the last 2 years ! :D

This would pretty much be the perfect CPU for the next MacMini

nmodin

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
[citation][nom]nmodin[/nom]I actually play WoW and EVE on my dev machine, a MacMini 2009 (C2D, 9400M). Not on a very high resolution or with any fancy settings on, but it works. But o/c, it won't suffice for any games that has been released the last 2 years ! This would pretty much be the perfect CPU for the next MacMini[/citation]

But then again, a MacMini might not pass for a desktop without a little bending of the semantics of a desktop.... :D

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]nmodin[/nom]I actually play WoW and EVE on my dev machine, a MacMini 2009 (C2D, 9400M). Not on a very high resolution or with any fancy settings on, but it works. But o/c, it won't suffice for any games that has been released the last 2 years ! This would pretty much be the perfect CPU for the next MacMini[/citation]

My work lappy is a lenovo thinkpad with HD 3000 intel graphics, it can run WoW and Starcraft 2 on low settings, which I'm totally not used to from work machines.

AncientNoob

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
What an unnecessary mess. 17 units and not even counting the i3s yet.

Why can't power usage be done in the BIOS or something. Just have an i7 4770 and let the builder choose T mode or S mode or whatever. And watch out for the 2 core surprise on the i5 4570T! Don't get started on the random feature removal surprises on K and others (VT-D, vPro)...

Probably most of us upgrade the motherboard with the processor at the same time,
so I don't think BGA is such a bad idea, but there's issues still.

If the motherboard gets damaged or dies while the processor is fine isn't that a bit of a issue cost wise?

High end chips should should remain LGA for gamers and enthusiasts because they won't want to spend 600 instead of 300 to replace a motherboard or CPU. This will make warranties much more appreciated probably. BGA is limiting choice a bit too.

xomm

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Cy-Kill[/nom]It really seems to me that CPU makers have hit a ceiling and not being able to get CPUs above 3.x GHz.[/citation]

After 4.0GHz, there's little performance to be gained for the average consumer. Combined with the extra heat, electromigration, and power consumption, there's really no reason for CPU manufacturers to sell stock models over 4.0GHz. That's why we have unlocked multipliers.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Now only if I could find some benchmarks to determine the performance difference between 4600 and 5200...

I would still opt for an AMD alternative or a LGA chip over a chip soldered to the motherboard...

[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]Heck, in the ultrabooks it's worse. There are cpu's like that inside some of them that are labeled as Core i7's....http://ark.intel.com/products/6489 [...] o-3_20-GHz[/citation]

And that is why you need to look at the QMs...

jarred125

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
[citation][nom]killabanks[/nom]a few years ago i dreamed that one day we can build laptops the way we do desktops.. screw you intel for ruining my dream[/citation]

This will never happen. I guarantee (myself included) that 99% of the market does not understand enough about thermal capacities to build a laptop properly. I can only imagine that hordes of angry nerds demanding RMAs because their self built laptop burned a hole through their desk (or legs).

I am all for building your own stuff, but keep it to the desktop. I want portable laptops. :)

What do you mean this 130 watt chip does not work in my notebook designed for a 24 watt one.... RMA time.

A small socket(it could even be just some key indents on the LGA to ensure that only chips with the same or lower power consumption would fit. Like how a Blank and Decker battery does not fit a Dewalt Drill until you Dremel the tab off :) ) change would make users HAVE to install the right chip.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Cy-Kill[/nom]It really seems to me that CPU makers have hit a ceiling and not being able to get CPUs above 3.x GHz.[/citation]

Existing silicon can easily go to 4.5-5Ghz on air, but they cannot stay there running 24/7 for 3-5 years without an unacceptable failure rate. I think this is more of a materials limit than anything else at this point.

80% of maximum is the guideline I have observed, and practiced. If you want your electronics to last a long time, do not push them beyond 80% of their maximum capacity.

While speed has been slowly increasing, the 80% guideline still works, as 5ghz is an awesome overclock, and 4ghz is 80% of that, where 3.9ghz is the maximum stock frequency.

yhikum

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
[citation][nom]xomm[/nom]After 4.0GHz, there's little performance to be gained for the average consumer. Combined with the extra heat, electromigration, and power consumption, there's really no reason for CPU manufacturers to sell stock models over 4.0GHz. That's why we have unlocked multipliers.[/citation]

This is misleading. There is performance gain slow execution vs faster execution. What is constant though is the rest of hardware, which does not get speed bump. Particularly this is memory timings.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]royalcrown[/nom]Dear Intel, please make it fit in my 1155 I just bought. STOP changing goddamn sockets every 5 seconds. Thank you.[/citation]

build a pc to last several years...
that way by the time you upgrade, it will be a real leap and not a small step

Status
Not open for further replies.