[SOLVED] Three long beeps, but boots up anyway

DrPeroxide

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015
Hi there, so I've been having some potential issues with my build recently and I want to know if it's a sign of a more serious underlying issue that could rear it's head at any moment.

First off, my specs:

Mobo: MSI B450M MORTAR
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
RAM: HyperX FURY Black 8GB 2666MHz DDR4
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

So I bought all these components brand new at the start of the year, except for the GPU which I've had for a year longer. Since building the PC, I've had no problems with it what so ever. A few months back, I moved house, which meant the PC was unplugged for a good while, but that posed no issues when I booted it up again in my new home.

However, very recently, I changed the layout of my room, which meant the PC was unplugged overnight. When I booted it up the next day, I got three, long BIOS beeps and then the PC restarted. This happened a couple of times before the PC booted up instead of restarting. Now whenever I turn on my PC, I am greeted by the same three beeps, but the PC boots up and runs fine.

I'm at a loss at to what this means; some sources state that it's a memory issue, but that's usually associated with the PC not booting up at all. Another source suggested it might indicate a BIOS reset, but I don't see why it would do that every boot. Has anyone got any ideas? My main concern is if there is a problem with my build that isn't immediately obvious. My secondary concern is shutting the damn thing up!

Thanks for reading, and I'll appreciate any and all comments!

DrPeroxide

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015
So, it turns out it was due to memory, thanks for the push jay!

It turns out that one of my sticks of ram came a little loose due to me moving the PC around so much! While it still registered, I noticed in the resource monitor that the whole stick was 'Hardware reserved'! All I had to do was reseat it and not only have the beeps dissapeared, but my games are running as smooth as I remember too!