Question Three monitor setup with two systems (PC and Laptop)

Dec 23, 2022
Hello,
I have a ASUS TUF Gaming VG259QM and a Samsung S24F350FHE currently on hand. I am planning to buy a ASUS ROG Strix XG259CM as my third monitor and will be used as main monitor since it has a KVM functionality. Both VG259QM and XG259CM has Display Port and HDMI I/O, while the S24F350FHE has only VGA and HDMI port.
I do plan a triple monitor set-up. I will need to use my monitors for both my working laptop and gaming desktop.
Can I have tips on how to connect these monitors with 2 systems in a most efficient manner? Since I see that their display ports are only 1 per monitor.

Ralston18

Titan
You will need a KVM (Keyboard,Video, Mouse) switch similar to the following product:

https://www.amazon.com/CKL-Monitor-DisplayPort-Computers-Monitors/dp/B089LWXGKZ?th=1

(Not a recommendation or endorsement.)

Start by sketching out a diagram of the desired/required connections showing all ports, port types, genders, and cables/plugs.

Something similar to the third image down in the link.

Then look for a KVM that meets those rquirements.

You will probably need to purchase additional cables as well.

jasonf2

Distinguished
You will need a KVM just like Ralston18 mentioned. Where a normal KVM switch is ~$50 for a single monitor your multi-port, three monitor switch is going to be pretty expensive. You are more than likely going to have to match back with converters as well. Make sure to pay attention to the version of displayport/hdmi you need as converters can be a bit finicky depending on the resolutions you think you will be able to pull. On the laptop I might also suggest a dock if it is available, simply because a single cable dock solution is cleaner than hooking and unhooking all of those cables. I don't know what your budget is, but by the time you figure out the expense, I find that most people just use the second input on their monitors with converters and a second mouse and keyboard and sometimes a laptop dock.

Dec 23, 2022
My laptop has a dock. Though it has more DP ports than HDMI ports. I was trying to explore daisy chaining DP ports but was wondering why my monitors only has 1 display port. I don't know if daisy chaining works with a monitor with only one display port.