Three monitors with R9 270

clancaster23

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
I want to run three monitors and am thinking of getting an R9 270 card to do so. I have read several posts about people having problems getting the third monitor to work. I would be getting the PowerColor version and it's supposed to have a DVI, an HDMI and a DisplayPort ports to hook up to it. Before I purchase the card I want to be sure I can run all three. How is each monitor connected to the card? I am guessing it'd be like this:

Monitor 1 - Connected through DVI port with DVI cable
Monitor 2 - Connected through HDMI with HDMI cable
Monitor 3 - Connected through DVI cable with active DisplayPort to DVI adapter

Is that the right setup I'd need or should it be hooked up another way?

Thaisnang

Honorable

Games aren't the only thing that is GPU intensive. And if you are planning to play a online racing game while using a eyefinity setup then you should look at R9 280's or 290's, 270's would lag on a eyefinity setup.

clancaster23

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
That's basically all I do is online race on this machine. And I can get the 270 pretty cheap and I'm not looking to spend the 2-300 on the 280 or 290 considering I still need to get two more monitors lol. Would it really lag that bad that I wouldn't be able to run it smoothly?

Thaisnang

Honorable

The lag would depend on the game.

clancaster23

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
I talked with another guy who races with me and runs three screens and he uses an older Radeon HD 6850 and he still gets 80 fps with everything maxed so I'm thinking with a better card (R9 270) that I should be able to run just as well if not a bit better since the R9 should be a better card, no?