[SOLVED] Three new SSD’s with S.M.A.R.T errors, unable to install windows 10

PotatoUzi

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013
Hello all,

I’m quite bad at computers so would love some support. I have googled this solution for the past week and am still unable to figure this one out.
Earlier last week, both my HDD and SDD gave me Smart errors on boot. So, after losing all my data (though I did have backups) I decided to buy two new SSD’s and do a fresh install of windows.
though they appeared (occationally) in bios, I would get numerous errors and it would not allow me to install. I tried MCT as well as Rufus, and they wouldn’t get through the installation.
At this point I did a trial of Ubuntu to see if my drives were bricked. One appeared with errors, the other did not.
so I bought another ssd. Same problems as before, after numerous cord switches, Sata port changes, and the same trial and error as before - it would also not appear in Ubuntu - now I am getting smart errors for this third ssd.

so my question is, what the heck is going on? Am I bricking my own SSD’s? (The third one was put in a fresh pc and it appeared and was working) and now is smart erroring.

please help.
Cheers

Solution
You assume it's on your end. Entirely possible it's a bad batch of SSDs, since you bought them from the same place? Are they all the same SSDs? I'd take the new SSDs back to that store, make sure you diskpart them and erase any/all partitions and or volumes. Then I'd try a different store, different SSD, one that's decent quality like WD or Crucial or Samsung.

Install a clean (newly downloaded if you can) version, matching whatever version you had prior (home or pro, it's important for registration) then use Crystal Disk, Samsung Magician or WD Tools etc to check the disk.

Make sure both the HDD and Old SSD are not installed, it's entirely possible you have picked up a boot virus or other malicious software because the chances of...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You assume it's on your end. Entirely possible it's a bad batch of SSDs, since you bought them from the same place? Are they all the same SSDs? I'd take the new SSDs back to that store, make sure you diskpart them and erase any/all partitions and or volumes. Then I'd try a different store, different SSD, one that's decent quality like WD or Crucial or Samsung.

Install a clean (newly downloaded if you can) version, matching whatever version you had prior (home or pro, it's important for registration) then use Crystal Disk, Samsung Magician or WD Tools etc to check the disk.

Make sure both the HDD and Old SSD are not installed, it's entirely possible you have picked up a boot virus or other malicious software because the chances of both a HDD and SSD both getting smart errors simultaneously is near impossible otherwise.

Solution

PotatoUzi

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013
Thank you for the reply:

Of the three drives they are all different, all decent quality brands, one bought at a different location . I do have a Samsung one in order at the moment so hoping that fixes my errors.

do those drive checking softwares have bootable usb options? Because I am unable to even install windows at the moment.

both the old drives are not in the PC.

Hello all,

I’m quite bad at computers so would love some support. I have googled this solution for the past week and am still unable to figure this one out.
Earlier last week, both my HDD and SDD gave me Smart errors on boot. So, after losing all my data (though I did have backups) I decided to buy two new SSD’s and do a fresh install of windows.
though they appeared (occationally) in bios, I would get numerous errors and it would not allow me to install. I tried MCT as well as Rufus, and they wouldn’t get through the installation.
At this point I did a trial of Ubuntu to see if my drives were bricked. One appeared with errors, the other did not.
so I bought another ssd. Same problems as before, after numerous cord switches, Sata port changes, and the same trial and error as before - it would also not appear in Ubuntu - now I am getting smart errors for this third ssd.

so my question is, what the heck is going on? Am I bricking my own SSD’s? (The third one was put in a fresh pc and it appeared and was working) and now is smart erroring.

please help.
Cheers
Just a test.
Go to a working machine and put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Make sure it boots.

Put the flash stick in the problem machine.
Boot it up and let it run a pass....no errors allowed.

Connect one of these problem ssd's to a working machine.
Run a pass of crystaldiskinfo on the ssd and post a screenshot.

PotatoUzi

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013
Just a test.
Go to a working machine and put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Make sure it boots.

Put the flash stick in the problem machine.
Boot it up and let it run a pass....no errors allowed.

Connect one of these problem ssd's to a working machine.
Run a pass of crystaldiskinfo on the ssd and post a screenshot.

thanks mate, I’ll give this a shot when tomorrow as I’m at work at the moment

cheers :)