Question Three Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 drives in an Asus Strix Z690-e (best configuration?)

Jun 19, 2022
What is the best configuration to utilize all 3 drives with or without the included hyper card? I don't want to throttle the GPU so the #1 slot is out, leaving two onboard slots and two on the hyper card.
note* these m.2 drives are my only storage.
specs*
Asus Rog Strix 3080 V2 OC
Asus Rog Strix Z690-e
Intel Core i9-12900k
Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 (2x32)
Corsair Platinum HX1000 Power Supply.
3x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 drives

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2022
My best guess right now is to install two drives on the motherboard in slots 2 and 3 and one drive in the hypercard (not sure which slot in the card is better if either). Based on my investigating this should allow use of all 3 drives without using the #1 slot which takes the GPU slot down to 8x instead of 16x. If someone smarter than me could confirm I would appreciate it very much.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Wow seems like a great idea, I have never heard of a hyper card could you elaborate on that?

Never mind, I've looked around online and now I see what it is, my guess is try it out and tell your findings here.

I might even consider doing that, seems like I still have one PCIe slot open in my pc, and you get these hyper cards with two M.2 slots on them.

Then by calculations one should be able to at least have four M.2 drives installed and running full speed on nearly any rather new Motherboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Honoluluken
Jun 19, 2022
Wow seems like a great idea, I have never heard of a hyper card could you elaborate on that?

Never mind, I've looked around online and now I see what it is, my guess is try it out and tell your findings here.

I might even consider doing that, seems like I still have one PCIe slot open in my pc, and you get these hyper cards with two M.2 slots on them.

Then by calculations one should be able to at least have four M.2 drives installed and running full speed on nearly any rather new Motherboard.

I have the build put together with the above configuration. Still waiting on the water cooler, I will update when the build is complete.