Bob

Simon Robbins wrote:

> Anyone know if it's possible to control the helicopter's collective and
> throttle from separate joystick axes? i.e. instead of uses Ctrl+F1 -
F4 for
> independent throttle adjustment.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Si

Hi Si,

I have been experimenting but cannot figure out how to control the
throttle separately from the collective. Civilians do power recovery
autorotations to save the skid shoes. It doesn't take many autos to
wear holes in them. In the military we had steel runners strapped to
the bottom of the skids on the designated autorotation aircraft.

But I can see where it would be good to have separate controls for both.
I took many screen shots of the experimenting but they aren't worth
putting together. The R22 does not simulate autorotations well. Even
showing 70 Knots on the ASI the actual flight path is vertical, straight
down. The TH-55 shows controls similar to the R22 and has a governor for
the throttle. Maybe they added a governor in the past years but the
ones I flew had manual throttle control.

So for everyone...... Is it possible to assign one control to the twist
grip throttle and another control for the collective pitch? Working
with the Bell 206 throttle and collective I can reduce the throttle by
clicking 3 or 4 times on the + or - hotspots. But that is worse than the
proverbial one legged man at a ass kicking contest. It's just too hard
to manipulate the throttle while using the collective only for blade
pitch angle. I would think being able to click multiple times to open
or close the throttle, that assigning one button on the Quad Throttle
set to "repeat" would work. But to what and where do I assign the button?

To Re-explain, because I sometimes confuse myself... :) The governor
maintains N2 RPM at 100% no matter if you have a high power setting or
on the ground at flat pitch (collective down). I want to be able to
reduce the throttle to flight idle, just like the real thing, for the 2
minute cool-down prior to shutting the engine down.

A better method than assigning a button would be using one of the yoke
levers that are no longer used. That would allow very fine adjustments
to the throttle and allow power recovery autorotations for Si. I still
prefer shutting down the engine for full stop autos but would like the
flexibility to decide.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
> So for everyone...... Is it possible to assign one control to the twist
> grip throttle and another control for the collective pitch? Working
> with the Bell 206 throttle and collective I can reduce the throttle by
> clicking 3 or 4 times on the + or - hotspots. But that is worse than the
> proverbial one legged man at a ass kicking contest. It's just too hard
> to manipulate the throttle while using the collective only for blade
> pitch angle. I would think being able to click multiple times to open
> or close the throttle, that assigning one button on the Quad Throttle
> set to "repeat" would work. But to what and where do I assign the button?

Bob,
Good work on those test flight screen shots!

As someone else replied in an answer to my question: yes you can map
throttle independently to a different axis, using the propellor pitch
mapping. (Seems backwards- prop pitch would make more sense mapped to
collective, throttle to throttle, but hey..)

You right about the autos. No way in hell I can auto the R-22. I know it's
notorious for RPM decay, but that's crazy! The 206 seems porked in the
opposite direction. (Once you raise the coll a little above flat bottom.) I
practically float down without any loss of RPM. Only if I max the
collective does it decay. Anyone know how to tweak that?

Si

Bob

Simon Robbins wrote:

> You right about the autos. No way in hell I can auto the R-22. I know it's
> notorious for RPM decay, but that's crazy! The 206 seems porked in the
> opposite direction. (Once you raise the coll a little above flat bottom.) I
> practically float down without any loss of RPM. Only if I max the
> collective does it decay. Anyone know how to tweak that?
>
> Si

Not yet. You probably have already seen the old page I put together a
long time ago which shows at termination, that adding collective pitch
would not pull down the rotor RPM trading RPM for lift, but would add
power instead.

http://flightsims.vze.com/autorotation

--

boB