Throttle while stress testing AMD Overclock. Help Please!

Jason H.

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Hey guys Im trying to find a stable OC for my AMD A8 5600k. I was using AMD Overdrive but after a few crashes decided to do it directly from the mobo. Im using stock cooler and my idle thermal margin is about 55 degrees celcius.

I just stress tested at 4.1mhz (x41 multiplier in bios) with 1.4187 volts using AMD Overdrive stability test.

During the test, everytime the thermal margin goes around 15-18 degrees C the clock would drop to 1.3mhz and voltage down to roughly 0.88v. Im including photos of before and during the throttle as well seen here.

* Start of stability test using AMD Overdrive *

* During Throttle while doing Stability Test *

MY QUESTION: Is this happening because of thermal throttling? and is there any advice on how to fix this? or is it normal?

More info: I disabled C6 in BIOS. And this is my 1st ever Overclock (needing to do it to fix freezes in fortnite)

*PC SPECS*

CPU- AMD A8 5600k
GPU- GTX 750 1gb
RAM- 6gb DDR3
MOBO- BIOSTAR A55ML2
WIN- Window 10 Home
HDD- 160gb (dont know the speed)

retiredofficer

Prominent
Feb 28, 2018
Keep CPU temperature always under 72 deg C on full load. The use of after market CPU cooler is a must to do this.
Use at least CPU cooler with 2 copper heatpipe worth for USD 150-200 on minimum price range.

Jason H.

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Well I will say this. The pc is on its way out Im currently saving (almost there) for a better pc.

In the mean time Im just lookung to get some extra juice without investing in it so I can play fortnite without the game freezing up.

As of now I have the clock at 4.1mhz and the voltage at 1.4058 (or somethin like that messaging from mobile) and I get great preformance but about 3-4 games in the game crashes.

I kept track of all thermals during this and CPU load and it never went below 20 degrees Celsius thermal margin at average 72% load.

However with 4.1mhz on the clock and 1.4250v crashed my pc after 1 day of being on (only did 20 min stress test but I played about 5 hours straight of fortnite with no issues with those numbers n went to work got home was on google n pc crashed).

So I have no idea what is stable at this point. I even raised the NB VID to 1.2 to try n see if this stabilizes it. I have to go to sleep now but will do more testing when I get home.

But all this makes me wonder if I can even get a stable OC with seeing how the vpu throttles while still having 18 degrees celcius thermal margin left.

Any advice about over clocking this would be greatly appreciated!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS