Question Throttles at low temperatures.

Sep 30, 2019
While gaming my CPU throttles, even in older games and when the temperature is still low. This leads to a momentary dip before coming back up, how do I fix this?

Your CPU is most likely hitting some thermal/power limit and throttling back. Load up HWiNFO64 (sensors) and let it run in the background while you game. After you experience some performance dips, exit the game and look at the performance limit reasons section in HWiNFO64.

Sep 30, 2019
Your CPU is most likely hitting some thermal/power limit and throttling back. Load up HWiNFO64 (sensors) and let it run in the background while you game. After you experience some performance dips, exit the game and look at the performance limit reasons section in HWiNFO64.
What does the performance limit section look like?

you might try your luck in Intel's XTU, there are power limit tweaks that can be imposed/removed, as well as lowering max clock speeds (or raising them with a 'k' series CPU) under assorted core count load loads (If anything, I'd try lowering the max clock speed by 100 MHz on the all-core load, and see if that delays/eliminates issues with all core turbo duration.

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
It may also be dropping clocks if higher clocks are not needed. For example, if your game becomes GPU limited instead of CPU limited (on a more graphically intense scene), your CPU doesn't have to work as hard to keep up with the GPU and could drop clocks that way. We need more specifics about when this is happening, in what games, and what's happening to your frame rates.

Sep 30, 2019
Apparently my CPU is thermal throttling according to Intel XTU I was looking at system temperatures before, not CPU. It even throttles during normal use, like when streaming video. I tried undervolting but that doesn't help at all while in-game with it still reaching 100C, and random temperature spikes from around 63C to 83C and back down again in normal use.