Question ThrottleStop Power Throttling Inspiron i7 1065G7 Ice Lake 65W psu

AF1

Dec 24, 2021
Hi, this machine was suffering from chronic overheating circa 100C. I replaced the noisy fan and re-pasted the CPU to no avail.

The fan was running far too slowly, so in HWinfo I then set the Fan to respin 50ms after trying many settings. It now runs at max 4900rpm constantly and this has cured the overheating, but now I have Power Throttling.

I set ThrottleStop as best I could but now have TP1s in CORE, GPU & Ring.

I have read the tutorials and watched videos but still have no idea what I need to set in TS to overcome this.

I would post shots of myTS settings but cannot see how to.

Hey there,

You can use something like imgur to post pictures.

Can you post pictures of FIVR along with the other options screens. What tasks are running when it's throttling? Are you using the built in bench in TS to test as you go? Is the CPU hitting 65w when benching? You could look at increasing that to 75w PL1/90w/PL2 and see if it s still throttling.

No point in undervolting iGPU. It does absolutely nothing in terms of CPU temps, but can introduce instability.

AF1

Dec 24, 2021

AF1

Dec 24, 2021
"Are you using the built in bench in TS to test as you go? Is the CPU hitting 65w when benching? You could look at increasing that to 75w PL1/90w/PL2 and see if it s still throttling." How do I do this please?

Total System Power while benching did not go above 30W (HWinfo)

Last edited:

AF1

Dec 24, 2021
Hey there,

You can use something like imgur to post pictures.

Can you post pictures of FIVR along with the other options screens. What tasks are running when it's throttling? Are you using the built in bench in TS to test as you go? Is the CPU hitting 65w when benching? You could look at increasing that to 75w PL1/90w/PL2 and see if it s still throttling.

No point in undervolting iGPU. It does absolutely nothing in terms of CPU temps, but can introduce instability.

Hi Keith, could you talk me through the settings to increase PL1/2 Watts please?

Can I go to 75/90W with only a 65Wpsu?

Hey there,

Apologies for late reply. Hope you're enjoying the festive period! :)

Okay, my bad here. I'm not sure why, but in my head I had some info wrong and thought you had a 65w CPU rather than a 65w PSU (Power Supply).

So your chip is a 25w chip by default (base clocks). It's power throttling at PL2, which will be set low, because at boost clocks that CPU can hit 50w level which is why you see the red errors in TS Bench. Increase the PL1/PL2 to 25/45w (this will be a test setting) and set the turbo time limit(Tau) to 128 seconds (make this standard). You do this in TPL. By increasing PL2 (Turbo speeds) the CPU is less likely to throttle, but this also depends on the cooling. Do you have a good cooling pad? Worth it. Decreases temps on average by 5-10c at idle, and 3-5c at load. Airflow into the intakes underneath your laptop really helps.

AF1

Dec 24, 2021
Hi again Keith
As I said there is no issue with Temperature/cooling since setting fan in HWinfo as described above.

When benching total system power did not exceed 30W

I was having power throttling on all PL1 not PL2 {see image above).

Before you replied I set PL1 & PL2 to 50W and time to max as a test
View: https://imgur.com/a/TMp0Yli

I'm still getting Red PL1 CPU, GPU & Ring when benching but Total Systen Power (Benching) is down to 21W so even less power and more throttling than before.

That's odd. Try setting speedshift EPP to 128, save and try again.

Speedshift EPP is useful. At settings of 0- 90 or so, it will force the CPU to run at max speeds. If you set EPP at 150, the CPU will downclock a little depending on the load. If you set it from 200+ the CPU will nearly always downclock.

AF1

Dec 24, 2021
Hi Keith, I already have Speedshift EPP set to 128. Should I try 90?
I have read that Speedshift is now obsolete, I presume this isn't the case?
According to HWinfo my PL 1 limit is 22W & PL2 51W. Its PL1 limit I need to raise.
Thanks again.

Hey there,

Speedshift is an older tech, but still functional. It can benefit to play around with it. If you set it so that it downclocks a little, it can really help reduce heat as the CPU isn't trying to boost all the time.

When you set PL1 as you did with PL2, does it register on TS? Some of your pics are no longer viewable, so I can't look back for reference.

If not, and you have tried to change PL1, it may be that that particular function is disabled on a bios level. If that is the case, then there is very little you can do.

Hi Keith
Heat is not the issue.
Is there no way to change PL1 in bios?
Am I stuck with this?

I can't be certain, as Dell typically lock down those options in bios too. In fact, if you look through the bios screens, you will possibly see nothing related to PL1 or an option at least to change it.

Select the Clock Modulation on on the main screen. Set it a100%. Does that change anything?