[SOLVED] Throughput @ smart tv low

rapiddecline

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
New Linksys Ea7300 Ac1750. installed got the tv to recognize only 2.4mhz connection. Tested speed on Tv showing between 40 & 72 Kbs. wireless. Made & installed 50' Cat5 cable - speed about the same as wireless. Obviously, speed is too slow for smartv.

Internet speedtest down 10.34 mbs, up 3.76mbs.

Smart Tv is about 28' away from router, 1 wall in between.

Help??

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
If a PC has good throughput with the same cable an router port, the the problem is probably the TV. The browser on the TV may be too underpowered to run speedtest. That is why I asked if the TV successfully streamed media. It could be an false failure on the speedtest.

kanewolf

Titan
Since you "made" your ethernet cable, did you follow the 568B color code? Did you use 100% copper cable with the appropriate wire gauge (22 - 24ga) ?
Did you verify the cable performance by connecting it to a laptop or desktop ?

Does the TV fail to stream programs? It may be a speedtest compatibility problem with the TV.

rapiddecline

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I have also seen some pain with older 2.4Ghz TVs, even with a wired connection, software too old and no updates :(

best solution is to get a Roku / Android TV / Fire stick etc that you can plug in HDMI and give you 5ghz or use gig ethernet.
Probably doesn't matter, Tv is New 12-2018 .
Since you "made" your ethernet cable, did you follow the 568B color code? Did you use 100% copper cable with the appropriate wire gauge (22 - 24ga) ?
Did you verify the cable performance by connecting it to a laptop or desktop ?

Does the TV fail to stream programs? It may be a speedtest compatibility problem with the TV.
Checked ethernet 50' cable direct connect to pc- that part is good(also had used a cable tester when I made the patch cable). Bad thing cable appears to be copper coated base metal- single strand, Amazon seller 4 years ago. Now I know better.

So I'm guessing I have two issues the cable, but the other - is it likely the Linksys Router? Can't think of anything from pc/internet interface to Tv creating emi.

kanewolf

Titan
So I'm guessing I have two issues the cable, but the other - is it likely the Linksys Router? Can't think of anything from pc/internet interface to Tv creating emi.
If the performance with a laptop or PC is good with no changes to the cable, then the router can be eliminated.

You should do a factory reset on the router. Set JUST the admin password, the SSIDs and the WIFI passwords. Then retest.

rapiddecline

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
If the performance with a laptop or PC is good with no changes to the cable, then the router can be eliminated.

You should do a factory reset on the router. Set JUST the admin password, the SSIDs and the WIFI passwords. Then retest.
I did a reset when I cable connected to the TV. The tv speed test was about the same for wireless and/or cable.

Would a router with a higher AC rating make a difference? Solid copper cable make a difference?

No laptop computer just desktop.

kanewolf

Titan
If a PC has good throughput with the same cable an router port, the the problem is probably the TV. The browser on the TV may be too underpowered to run speedtest. That is why I asked if the TV successfully streamed media. It could be an false failure on the speedtest.

Solution

rapiddecline

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
This is the first attempt to connect the tv to the internet. Only have internet access about 28' from Tv.