Thrown in as the "IT guy"... HELP!!

Daubers

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Hey everyone. Need some advice. Long story short, I was hired as the marketing manager for a smaller company (around 50 employees) and have ended up now as our official IT guy as well. We use a decent amount of technology being mainly web based for ordering, as well as inventory tracking and logistics. So pretty much every employee has their own work station (custom machines). The main issue is that while I am tech savvy to a degree, can troubleshoot, build a machine etc, I have no idea about working on the backed of the servers, setting up accounts as admin and some of the networking needs. And on top of that, things are a mess as the old IT guy left everything in a huge mess.

Would anyone be able to offer advice and/or point me in the direction of resources to help me tackle this? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Dan

Ralston18

Titan
Decide if you want to be a marketing manager or IT manager.

Trying to do both at the same time is not likely to end well.

The starting point is to get as full of an understanding as you can of the current IT environment: hardware, software, networking, connectivity, communications, existing documentation. Everything.

Inventory everything, sketch out and diagram infrastructure. Get the big picture.

That alone could take a couple of weeks depending on what you have and already know.

In the meantime ensure that backups are being made and verified recoverable and readable.

Look at existing security precautions if any. Probably lax and without management support you will never get control.

Do not start making changes unless there is some clear emergency involved.

You will most likely need professional help that you can directly supervise no matter which hat you decide to wear. Maybe just as a interim option to get the IT environment from where it is now to where you/management want it to be.

If you truly enjoy IT and want to move in that direction, then your management must be on board with that and restructure the org chart accordingly.

Get the authority, get the budget, set priorities, prepare a plan, get the plan approved, and execute.

Small steps/increments recommended. Document in detail.

Daubers

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
I appreciate the advice! Unfortunately at least for the foreseeable future my roles will remain managing both, especially as marketing is shut down during the pandemic. I do enjoy IT and have worked as a project manager for a couple software companies. It is a direction I would very much like to diversify my skill set into. I have been just researching and watching youtube videos on things that come up. Right now has just been putting fires out everywhere but I would like to start getting ahead of things (like windows updates not crashing the computers)

Ralston18

Titan
Get the necessary managerial permissions to lock down end-user rights and then then pause automatic updates on all computers.

Start with your most problematic end users - you probably already know who those people are.

The people most likely to scream will be managers and those who game, shop, watch sports, etc. during work hours.

Pausing updates is an administrative nightmare but necessary if some update catastrophe is to be avoided.

Eventually Microsoft will override the pauses and force the updates.

Set up a couple of computers that are representative of end user configurations. Clone or image them for fast recovery and allow immediate updates to those systems. May help catch some incoming problem before all systems are hit when an update is forced.

Immediate needs for "brushing up": You will need to set up remote access so you can manage individual computers from one location. End-users may be in the physical office, at home, or perhaps "on travel" (TBD).
Get ahead, prepare for that scenario and what you need to know and do to provide IT support accordingly.

Having project management experience is a plus. Treat the IT requirements as a project that you are managing. Even though you will be doing all the hands on work as well.

Create your own project plan and be ready to present the plan to management. Avoid tech-speak, use a few simple diagrams and charts. Establish goals and plans of action. Present the proverbial "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly". Being realistic is not being negative.

[Note: You probably know a lot of that but IT presentations can quickly glaze over eyes... :) ]

Try to get some help. Odds are there are two or three other folks in your office/company with IT inclinations and experience. You probably know those people as well. One way or another....

Get management approval to recruit them, the truly helpful people, as well. You will need help and backup.

Management does not need to give you carte blanche (and you are not asking for that) but they do need to allow you to do the job.

Hopefully keeping management up-to-date on situations, problems, risks, expenses (labor, materials, resources) will keep them at some operational arms length.

To be blunt, if management is not supportive, then your days and nights will become very difficult.

Reactions: Daubers

Daubers

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks so much! I will start writing a plan to present asap. I really appreciate the advice. The fun now is with our governor shutting down businesses tomorrow, I have to try to get as many people as I can set up to work from home