Thumbnails issue - Windows 7

Ordu

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017
I was wondering does anybody know if there's a way to save the thumbnails from being deleted in Windows 7. Here's the issue I've been having for a while:

I work in digital print, and we have a very large collection of high quality photos and scans, most of them reaching up to a couple of hundred of MBs. Because of the size and the sheer amount of them, it takes a very long time to generate thumbnails for all of them. And I mean, a really long time, like hours. But the issue is that occasionally (sometimes after a few weeks, sometimes after just a couple of days) Windows erases the thumbnail cache and has to rebuild it again. Needless to say, this is not only annoying which I could handle, but it also slows down work which I can't really afford.

I've tried denying system access to the thumbnails cache folder, as recommended on the Internet, but this morning when I turned on the computer, the thumbnails were gone again. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? If not and it's some sort of built-in system in Windows 7 which automatically refreshes the thumbnails, does anyone knows an application I could use that would maybe generate its own thumbnail database that wouldn't go away?

The only other solutions I can come up with are either taking a snapshot of the folder contents once the thumbnails are generated (which isn't really ideal because files are constantly added/erased/edited) or make a sort of a preview folder where I would copy all of the files in much smaller resolution (also not ideal, because we're talking about a couple of TBs worth of data).

So if anyone has any recommendations I'd be very thankful.

I am not at all familiar with that type of work but http://www.askvg.com/fix-thumbnail-cache-automatic-deletion-problem-in-windows/ seems like it could help. Method 2.

A CPU upgrade may help expedite thumbnail creation.

An SSD will expedite thumbnail creation, unless you are already using one.

Increased amount of RAM may help expedite the process as well.

Ordu

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017
Thank you for the response.

I tried following the Method 2 instructions, but there is no TaskScheduler in "Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows" in Windows 7. I believe this is in Windows 8 or later, but I'm not certain.

An SSD would definitely be a great help, but 2TB+ of SSD storage is still well out of my price range. Also, probably a bit of an overkill for the type of work we do. We generally print very large formats which take a long time to print. So I have time to load and prepare the next image without really needing the blazing speed of an SSD. I certainly wouldn't mind, but I don't think I could justify the cost to my boss. ;-)

As for the CPU/RAM, as it's rebuilding the cache, Task Manager says that the RAM usage is sitting at around 2.5GBs (out of 8 total) and the CPU is at 25% (I'm guessing it's only using one core of my i5 4670). An i7 would probably do it a bit faster, but again, a bit of an overkill.

Still, thanks for the response.