Thunderbird 1.33Ghz chip FRIED. What happened?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am totally sick of the Intel/Amd wars and am not trying to start one here. Amd makes great chips but in my opinion as a tech professional they should employ heat protection. Running without protection is kinda like overclocking. Most of us in the community wouldn't think twice about OCing but look at it from a resellers point of view. As a reseller we don't want people OCing cause the retailer provides the warranty. Same goes for AMD and the heat issue. We resold a Dell/Intel that was comming from Dell preassembled. The heatsink came off in shipping and a few seconds into boot up the CPU shut down. This led us to open the case and find the heatsink bouncing around. Runs fine now thanks to "un-needed/un-wanted" heat protection. Of course now we double check all heatsinks before sending them out <b>regardless</b> of CPU brand.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here is what happened.
a) the cooler you got sucks, period! Also, the place in which you got it from sold you a model that was only recomended to go to 1 gig, Seeing how you have a 1.33 gig processor this and this alone makes our return of both the processor and the heatsink an aceptable thing. Make sure you arm yourself with information from the link provided just in case your retailor objects.

b) although I am sure you thought you installled this heatsink correctly it would appear that you did not have it seated to the cpu correctly. More likely than not it was of kilter which is another problem with the orbs. Why do so many retailors sell the orbs? Well they look cool and have better profit margins. Someone takes a look through the glass case and thinks, dam now that ought to work great! Too bad this is not the case. My local retailor has discontinued carry the orbs altogther, calls them cpu killers, he tells me he has even seen intell cpu's crushed by these. It is called mass manufactoring without quality control.
Heres what I suggest, take your motherboard, cpu and heatsink all back. Tell them to mount the new processor and heatsink for you.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

GiantRabbit: "So, I knew the Tbirds were vulnerable to overheating. I even knew you could break them that way. Did I know they would go out in a puff of smoke in literally TWO SECONDS if not properly cooled? No."

Hey AMDmeltdown, doesn't that last bit sound a bit like your signature?

GiantRabbit: "2. If the chip burnt out because the fan wasn't on right, then by God this is by light years the single most finicky hardware product I've ever encountered, and they should all be shipped with giant flashing lights that say:
WARNING. EVEN IF YOU BUY A HEAT SINK/FAN SPECIFICALLY MANUFACTURED FOR THIS CHIP AND INSTALL IT AS PER THE MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS AND THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE AMD WEBSITE, THIS CHIP MAY STILL INCINERATE ITSELF WITHIN SECONDS OF TURNING IT ON. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THIS CHIP WITHOUT SPENDING AT LEAST TEN (10) HOURS RESEARCHING YOUR COOLING SOLUTION WITH KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE."

There alot AMD should do but don't.

AMD complaint number 667144881662.00 and rising. Just wait till the 760MP hits town....oh boy. Buy some more servers Tom. Apparently you have to put sunscreen on your AMD when you take the computer case off, because of the UV rays?

"Cock-a-doodle-do" is what I say to my girl when I wake her UP in the morning!!

G

Yeah, I'll say orbs suck...they suck BIG time.

Not too long ago, I got suckered into buying one for an Athlon "B" 1 GHz, thinking that the "superior" design would perform an adequate cooling job. Oh Gawd, how mistaken I was!!! In just about no time, the CPU got up to 52 degrees celsius. That's when I decided to call it quits and use the retail AMD version fan, which incidently, performed a whole lot better than that phoney piece of flotsam. Not even the newest version of Super orbs will tempt me in buying one again.

An 'MC462 Swiftech' kind of guy,

RJD

G

Yeah, tell me about the "superior" design of orbs.

I once got suckered into buying an orb, and it promptly sent at the time my recently purchased AMD 1 GHz CPU to a "frigid" 52 celsius.

LOL

That's when I finally decided on reusing the retail AMD fan that came with the CPU. Even that stock material made the temps go 5 degrees south vs the other guy.

Of course, I understand there is an "improved" super orb out there that cools fairly well. But I'm not impressed in the least.

For me it's either the GlobalWins or Swiftechs that pique my curosity, and not some third rate product making first rate claims.

RJD

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
<<As a reseller we don't want people OCing cause the retailer provides the warranty>>

Rubbish - retailer does not provide warranty, unless the retailer is explicity manufacturing a finished product (i.e. building the pc.). Other than that the retailer is obliged to act as broker, on behalf of the manufacturer to the end customer. The warranty is from the manufaturer, not the retailer. You RMA to the retailer, the retailer RMAs to AMD, or their wholesaler.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
2. If the chip burnt out because the fan wasn't on right, then by God whoever installed it must be an idiot, and all the chips shipped should come with flashing lights that say:
WARNING. EVEN IF YOU BUY A HEAT SINK/FAN SPECIFICALLY MANUFACTURED FOR THIS CHIP, BUT YOU ARE AN IDIOT AND CAN'T INSTALL IT, CHANCES ARE YOU WILL FRY YOUR CHIP. PLEASE BUY A COMPUTER FROM AN OEM MANUFACTURER. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS CHIP IF YOU HAVE AN IQ BELOW 90.

From now on when someone asks you how fast your computer is, tell them your benchmark scores.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Woah, that's a lot higher than I thought... You aren't as stupid as I thought! :smile:

From now on when someone asks you how fast your computer is, tell them your benchmark scores.

G

I like you new signature AMDmeltdown.

"Cock-a-doodle-do" is what I say to my girl when I wake her UP in the morning!!

G

It pretty much comes down to this:

If you can't make sure and install your (faster than P4) T-bird correctly then why not just spend alot more on the slower P4? Some things just aren't meant for the less competent. AmdMeltdown may as well change his name to BlissfullyIncompetent or OutsmartedbyAthlon.

As for the original poster, return the CPU. If the current flowed then obviously you didn't crack the core. You may have put the inadequate HSF on wrong but even if you did it right the Orb just doesn't absorb. LOL

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."