thunderbird and firfox

Looking for advice and opinions of these. Thinking of switching to them from
IE and Outlook Express.

Pam

"Pamela and Howard Signa" <psigna@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Looking for advice and opinions of these. Thinking of switching to them
> from
> IE and Outlook Express.
>
> Pam

Firefox yes. I've been using it as my primary browser since about the 0.93
preview release. Of course, some sites still insist on IE to work, but
that's life.

Thunderbird I found to be not worth the effort at this point. I didn't like
the interface. It wasn't as customizeable, and generally seems to need to
"grow up" some before I could recommend the switch.

The good thing is Firefox and OE co-exist nicely.

--
"Hurricane" Andrew
Milford, DE

Firefox is excellent. Good popup blocker. Imports IE favorites. Haven't yet
used Thunderbird.

Some web sites use proprietary and insecure Micro$oft technology like Active X,
and Firefox won't work with them. Microsoft's own download site is one. The
UPS shipping site is another, but only for printing shipping labels. Some
financial web sites are in bed with Micro$oft.

The best strategy is to use Firefox whenever possible, and to keep IE around for
when Firefox breaks. For me, that means Firefox or predecssor Mozilla about 99%
of the time... Ben Myers

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:26:12 -0600, "Pamela and Howard Signa"

Ben Myers wrote:
> Firefox is excellent. Good popup blocker. Imports IE favorites. Haven't yet
> used Thunderbird.
>
> Some web sites use proprietary and insecure Micro$oft technology like Active X,
> and Firefox won't work with them. Microsoft's own download site is one. The
> UPS shipping site is another, but only for printing shipping labels. Some
> financial web sites are in bed with Micro$oft.
>
> The best strategy is to use Firefox whenever possible, and to keep IE around for
> when Firefox breaks. For me, that means Firefox or predecssor Mozilla about 99%
> of the time... Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:26:12 -0600, "Pamela and Howard Signa"
> <psigna@nospambellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>>Looking for advice and opinions of these. Thinking of switching to them from
>>IE and Outlook Express.
>>
>>Pam

Thanks. am using them now to see if I like them. So far they are fine.
Still tweaking Thunderbird a bit.

I love Firefox - a simple thing like tabbed browsing makes it worthwhile to
me - why Microsoft has never come up with such an easy concept that doesn't
clutter the bottom of your screen with multiple windows, I'll never know.

The only thing I can't get to work with Firefox are video streams
online....perhaps there is a way to do it and I just haven't figured it out
yet.

"Pamela and Howard Signa" <psigna@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Looking for advice and opinions of these. Thinking of switching to them
from
> IE and Outlook Express.
>
> Pam

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 09:08:42 GMT, "Tom Kosensky"
<mryclept@prodigy.net> wrote:

>I love Firefox - a simple thing like tabbed browsing makes it worthwhile to
>me - why Microsoft has never come up with such an easy concept that doesn't
>clutter the bottom of your screen with multiple windows, I'll never know.
>
>The only thing I can't get to work with Firefox are video streams
>online....perhaps there is a way to do it and I just haven't figured it out
>yet.

If you are not using Firefox 1.0, upgrade to that version and you
should have no problems with the streaming video (does the video
stream, but not the audio)?

If you wish to stay with an older version, you can go to
Tools/extensions/get more extemsions. This will take you to the
official extension site (there are more from others) and download the
"foxy tunes" module. I got sound occasionally but not always, until
I upgraded to version 1.0. NoOw streaming video and audio both work.

I found, also, that - unless you disable JAVA in IE - you cannot get
the java programs to run in Firefox. That means that for IE you keep
the VM, and untick the java. It works and I never look a gift horse
in the mouth. (It's teeth might be less long than mine :)

HTH,
Shyrl