Thunderbird and K7V

G

Based on the review on Tom's hardware I purchased the thunderbird 700mHz and put it in my asus k7v motherboard. It has one major hitch. It stalls on boot up nearly everytime. When I reset the machine it comes back with the Bios and gives me the error: detected an improper CPU frequency and then when I reset to default it boots up normally. I'm using pc100 memory, and jumperfree default mode. Any quick answers to solving this? Thanks

Patrick

G

What is your FSB set at? If it is at 133 mhz, that will probably cause the lockups and incomplete boots. Make sure it is at 100 mhz. If that is not the problem I don't know what is.

-Schmave-

G

If your using a SlotA Thunderbird and the Asus K7V your bound to have problems. Only the ASUS K7V-T is recommended for the Thunderbird SlotA CPU, otherwise you have to use the K7V motherboard for the classic Athlon CPU, not the Thunderbird Athlon CPU.

Go to www.bigfootcomputers.com to see their ASUS K7V-T motherboard there. Note, only the -T notation is for the Thunderbird CPU, without it the mobo is only good for the classic Athlon CPU.

G

Thanks for the replies. The Bios is set at jumper free and all default, which is 100MhZ last I checked. I will go back and check to be sure. Guess I bought a lemon.

Patrick