[SOLVED] Thunderbolt 3 motherboards

Dec 17, 2018
I'm really confused about how Thunderbolt 3 works on PC. Is every motherboard with a type c port Thunderbolt compatible? I'm looking for a decent Z390 motherboard that can handle Thunderbolt 3 (Preferably ATX)

Solution

Just because there is USB Type-C does not automatically asssumed that it supports Thunderbolt or even some of the other standards.
USB C (Type-C) is a connector shape and it could support Thunderbolt, HDMI, VGA, DisplayPort, power delivery and intake.
Also, you should use a cable that it is compatible with the standard you want to use.

GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE supports Thunderbolt 3 thru the USB Type-C (3.1 Gen2)
No. Type C is the "form factor" not the specification. Type C can be a reversible USB form factor that uses both USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1, various iterations of Thunderbolt or USB 3.1 Gen 2. ALL Z390 motherboards have NATIVE USB 3.1 Gen2 support. If you are looking for Thunderbolt or Gen 2 support natively then any 300 series board will work. Some may have better implementations of it than others. I'd stick with a mid tiered board from ASUS or ASRock.

Just because there is USB Type-C does not automatically asssumed that it supports Thunderbolt or even some of the other standards.
USB C (Type-C) is a connector shape and it could support Thunderbolt, HDMI, VGA, DisplayPort, power delivery and intake.
Also, you should use a cable that it is compatible with the standard you want to use.

GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE supports Thunderbolt 3 thru the USB Type-C (3.1 Gen2)

Solution
Dec 17, 2018

So I should assume that basically every z390 board with usb-c is thunderbolt 3?

That is not accurate.
I suggest you read the motherboard description carefully.
For example:
The Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO is a Z390 motherboard with USB Type-C but doesn't have Thunderbolt.

The Asus PRIME Z390-A supports Thunderbolt, but it comes with a 5-pin header where you could connect an expansion ThunderboltEX card that must be purchased separately.

Every type C USB port is ONLY what that port has been designed for by the manufacturer. You could have USB Type C ports on the same motherboard, and one could be gen 1 while another is gen2 or thunderbolt, or whatever they want. You will need to read the specifications for each board to see what it offers.