Question Thunderbolt 4 dock: Only one monitor will work ?

Apr 30, 2021
Hello Everyone,

First computer build and first time posting in a forum (be kind). I recently built a desktop computer, in which I installed an Asus ThunderboltEX 4 card in. Motherboard is a Asus Z590m-plus and processor is i7-11700k. Would love to put a graphics card in the PCI 4.0 slot but that a different problem. Anyways, I also have a Kensington SD 5700T dock that splits the Thunderbolt 4 into an additional 2 ports, so 3 total. This was so I could attach the 2 LG 32QN600-b monitors to the dock via USB-C to DP active cables (I have tried 3 sets now). (On a side note, I can set up both monitors using the DP and HDMI on the motherboard but I would like to attach them this way)

The problem is which ever monitor I plug in first comes on and the second one does not. When I unplug the monitor that is working the other monitor starts to work.

I have been in contact with Kensington's support staff and they told me today to try and find someone with a thunderbolt 4 laptop to test if it works with that... all of the people I know do not even know what that is. They did seem to think I had everything hooked up correctly and it should just be plug and play.

So I called Asus support today as well and tried to ask if there was some kind of setting I am missing somewhere. The person on the phone referred me to a page from the user guide and said that there has to be 3 thunderbolt devices connected to use 2 monitors...? I asked what those 3 devices would be... twice... then he hung up on me. The picture he was referring to was showing that you could have "up to" (2) 4k monitors and (3) thunderbolt 4 devices hooked up at one time. Pretty sure it was the first time that person has even looked at any information about the ThunderboltEX 4 card.

Which brings me here where all of you, undoubtedly, know way more about computers than I do. Below is what I sent to Kensington support to try and make things easier.

"This is the way I have the computer, dock and monitors setup and the different component and cables being used. With links to their specifications.

Motherboard – Asus Z590m-plus

Intel 11th Gen I7 11700k w/UHD 750 Integrated Graphics

Thunderbolt 4 – Asus ThunderboltEX4 expansion card

Dock – Kensington SD5700T

Monitors (X2) – LG 32QN600-B (has HDMI 1.4(x2) and DisplayPort 1.4(x1)

Cables I have tried:

As of today, 4/28/2021, all drivers on my computer are up to date"

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Apr 30, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you refer to the manual, whereby you're asked to pair the DP IN ports with a DP output from the motherboard or a discrete GPU? Per the manual, you're going to be able to pair 2 DP monitors to that one card, so yeah tech support has it right that you will need another add-on TB card.
I appreciate the response. I did ask the tech whether both in ports needed to be used and was told no. Where in my question did I say that the tech said I needed a second thunderbolt card? From what I gather from your response is that I need to hook up a second DP to DP in port on the card. will try that. Thank you.