Question Thunderbolt audio interface not recognized ?

Astralv

Distinguished
Hello, friends!

I have new build with I9 13900K Processor and Asus Hero Motherboard. The MB has 2 built in Thunderbolt 4 ports. ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG USA (asus.com)

I have project recording studio and use MOTU Thunderbolt audio interface. MOTU.com - Overview

It is relatively expansive gear around $1500 per unit and I have 3 units, so it is not easy to replace. The interface is using Thunderbolt 2.0. My previous build Kaby Lake, 2017, I also had Asus Hero motherboard with Thunderbolt 3.0 and was using Apple TB 3.2 to 2.0 adopter.

From my research, TB 4.0 should be back compatible with TB 3.0, therefor, in theory, my interfaces should simply connect to the new system with the same Apple adopter. But they not recognized.

I contacted MOTU. You would think- by now, they would know if their flagship product is compatible with TB4 and would know how to troubleshoot it as they still offering this interface. This is reply I got from their tech support:

Thanks for contacting MOTU. In order for this to work, we first have to check if the Thunderbolt 4 port actually works in your computer. Since your computer is a custom-built one, we might have to make sure that a number of things are true in your computer:

• Is every component of your recently built computer compatible with TB 4? This is needed for TB 4 to work.

• Are all the TB-related software installed and updated for your Intel processor?

• Is the motherboard confirmed to provide backwards compatibility between TB 3 and TB 4? Some motherboards have been found to skip the backwards compatibility feature.
When all of these are true, It would also be good to have another TB4 device to test the configuration before plugging in the interfaces.

1. Not sure what components of computer would not be compatible. The processor? Obviously the memory would not care. Yes, I gave them specs- I have I9 13900K, it supports TB.
  2. I just reinstalled the TB driver just in case I didn't install it with all the drivers earlier, so it is installed.
  3. How would I check if Hero MB provides back compatibility?
This article is mentioning workaround using Doc to power devices, but I am not fully understanding what I supposed to do.

Quantum: Thunderbolt 4 Crashing Issues with Windows Systems – Knowledge Base | PreSonus

To make Thunderbolt 2 interfaces work with Thunderbolt 4, one must use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. We recommend the following.
Thunderbolt 4 does not provide power over the TB4 (USB Type-C) connector to Thunderbolt 2 accessories / devices directly. We found that an externally powered Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 4 Dock must be used in addition to the adapter on an available Thunderbolt port on the dock to provide power to the accessory. Combined with a working Thunderbolt system driver only then will the connection work.

In our tests we used the following externally powered devices with the TB3 / TB2 Adapter on the downstream port:
  • Cal Digit Thunderbolt 4 Hub
  • Dell K16A Dock
  • Lacie D2 HDD with 2x TB3 Ports.
I have Apple adopter. My Thunderbolt MOTU Device powers itself, are they talking about power to port itself? Any thoughts to make it work would be greatly appreciated- you may help a lot of people who have the same problem. Thank you.

Hello, friends!

I have new build with I9 13900K Processor and Asus Hero Motherboard. The MB has 2 built in Thunderbolt 4 ports. ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG USA (asus.com)

I have project recording studio and use MOTU Thunderbolt audio interface. MOTU.com - Overview

It is relatively expansive gear around $1500 per unit and I have 3 units, so it is not easy to replace. The interface is using Thunderbolt 2.0. My previous build Kaby Lake, 2017, I also had Asus Hero motherboard with Thunderbolt 3.0 and was using Apple TB 3.2 to 2.0 adopter.

From my research, TB 4.0 should be back compatible with TB 3.0, therefor, in theory, my interfaces should simply connect to the new system with the same Apple adopter. But they not recognized.

I contacted MOTU. You would think- by now, they would know if their flagship product is compatible with TB4 and would know how to troubleshoot it as they still offering this interface. This is reply I got from their tech support:

Thanks for contacting MOTU. In order for this to work, we first have to check if the Thunderbolt 4 port actually works in your computer. Since your computer is a custom-built one, we might have to make sure that a number of things are true in your computer:

• Is every component of your recently built computer compatible with TB 4? This is needed for TB 4 to work.

• Are all the TB-related software installed and updated for your Intel processor?

• Is the motherboard confirmed to provide backwards compatibility between TB 3 and TB 4? Some motherboards have been found to skip the backwards compatibility feature.
When all of these are true, It would also be good to have another TB4 device to test the configuration before plugging in the interfaces.

1. Not sure what components of computer would not be compatible. The processor? Obviously the memory would not care. Yes, I gave them specs- I have I9 13900K, it supports TB.
  2. I just reinstalled the TB driver just in case I didn't install it with all the drivers earlier, so it is installed.
  3. How would I check if Hero MB provides back compatibility?
This article is mentioning workaround using Doc to power devices, but I am not fully understanding what I supposed to do.

Quantum: Thunderbolt 4 Crashing Issues with Windows Systems – Knowledge Base | PreSonus

To make Thunderbolt 2 interfaces work with Thunderbolt 4, one must use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. We recommend the following.
Thunderbolt 4 does not provide power over the TB4 (USB Type-C) connector to Thunderbolt 2 accessories / devices directly. We found that an externally powered Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 4 Dock must be used in addition to the adapter on an available Thunderbolt port on the dock to provide power to the accessory. Combined with a working Thunderbolt system driver only then will the connection work.

In our tests we used the following externally powered devices with the TB3 / TB2 Adapter on the downstream port:
  • Cal Digit Thunderbolt 4 Hub
  • Dell K16A Dock
  • Lacie D2 HDD with 2x TB3 Ports.
I have Apple adopter. My Thunderbolt MOTU Device powers itself, are they talking about power to port itself? Any thoughts to make it work would be greatly appreciated- you may help a lot of people who have the same problem. Thank you.
Did you check the Thunderbolt settings in your motherboard's bios to make sure that they are properly enabled? Refer to pages 67 and 68 of your motherboard's bios manual.

Astralv

Distinguished
Did you check the Thunderbolt settings in your motherboard's bios to make sure that they are properly enabled? Refer to pages 67 and 68 of your motherboard's bios manual.
Before looking in BIOS manual, I looked in actual BIOS Thunderbolt settings. There was nothing that would say "Enable Tb". I looked in manual now and I do not see a setting that would enable or disable TB. Do you? If you see something that would make a difference, please, let me know. Thank you.

Before looking in BIOS manual, I looked in actual BIOS Thunderbolt settings. There was nothing that would say "Enable Tb". I looked in manual now and I do not see a setting that would enable or disable TB. Do you? If you see something that would make a difference, please, let me know. Thank you.
Did you see the entry on page 68 which states: Please set Control Iommu Pre-boot behavior in the System Agent (SA) Configuration page to Enabled to support DMA Protection feature?

Astralv

Distinguished
Did you see the entry on page 68 which states: Please set Control Iommu Pre-boot behavior in the System Agent (SA) Configuration page to Enabled to support DMA Protection feature?
I see it now, have no idea what it means. I will not be able to do it for few days, hope to come back to it in a few days.
I think all settings were set to enabled, I need to find Discrete TB support. Got it. Pretty sure it is enabled, but ok, thank you. Will be back.