Question Thunderbolt boot drive crashes after wake from sleep

Jul 10, 2023
Hi everyone. I'm having an interesting issue with a Dynabook A50-J in which Windows crashes when the laptop is brought out of sleep mode with an attached Thunderbolt SSD acting as the boot drive. It seems the Thunderbolt drive does not become available to the system until after the laptop is brought out of sleep, causing the OS running on same to crash.

I contacted Dynabook tech support about the issue and the reply I received in summary was "We don't support booting from a Thunderbolt drive, so we are regrettably unable to help you with this issue." The laptop does boot from a TB drive though and the drive is listed in BIOS boot options once Windows is installed on it.

My question is: Is this a hardware limitation or can BIOS be revised to fix this bug? I own a Dell G15 5511 which also boots from the same TB drive but does not crash after waking up from sleep.

Any insight appreciated. Cheers.

Jul 10, 2023
Hi. Updating BIOS and drivers has unfortunately not remedied the problem. Bringing the laptop out of sleep mode still results in a BSOD, followed promptly by a reboot. It's rather disappointing since the laptop has two TB ports, one of which would have served nicely for a system drive.

Cheers.

PS The latop has a separate power connector, leaving both TB ports free when power is connected, which made this laptop particularly attractive to me. You don't get this on Dells since they no longer come with a separate power connector.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023
"Stop code: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" speaks to the fatality of the situation :(
20230712_012348_cropped.jpg

TRENDING THREADS