Thunderbolt in any new motherboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmguy

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Any info on when this will be included in the new motherboards? I am waiting for sandy bridge B3 mobo. Should I wait till they release a version with Thunderbolt port?

Thanks.

Solution
No, it just looks like Apple got first dibs on it. Intel developed the vast majority of Thunderbolt, Apple just helped with the last mile. In time Intel will push it into the general PC market, not just Apple. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for PC motherboards to be released, however. Devices using Thunderbolt are only just now being announced, and I don't expect to start seeing Thunderbolt on motherboards until late this year, early next year.

I almost have to wonder if Thunderbolt will appear on any LGA2011 motherboards, either as part of the chipset or as an additional chip, although I don't think the former is likely.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
No, it just looks like Apple got first dibs on it. Intel developed the vast majority of Thunderbolt, Apple just helped with the last mile. In time Intel will push it into the general PC market, not just Apple. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for PC motherboards to be released, however. Devices using Thunderbolt are only just now being announced, and I don't expect to start seeing Thunderbolt on motherboards until late this year, early next year.

I almost have to wonder if Thunderbolt will appear on any LGA2011 motherboards, either as part of the chipset or as an additional chip, although I don't think the former is likely.

Solution

galeener

Distinguished
I didn't see it on the sandy bridge info for the h67 or p67 I also did not see it on the limited specs for the z68.
I guess they changed it from lightpeak to thunderbolt after they reconfigured it to be electrical instead of optical for price considerations.

prcrlc

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007

How do you know this?

hheh

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

Wow all you have to do is read some articles right now and you know this guy is wrong!! I love how people just go off at the mouth. Always have to get two cents in!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS