News Thunderbolt Share provides file and screen sharing without hurting network performance

D

Deleted member 2731765

The article is missing one point which also needs to mentioned and highlighted a bit more clearly though.

I mean to say that not all devices with Thunderbolt ports will support 'Thunderbolt Share'. Since Intel says it’s licensing 'Thunderbolt Share' to select partners, you’ll need to buy at least one certified device in order to use the 'Thunderbolt Share' software, which is tied to hardware.

According to Intel's specifications, at least one of the PCs or docking stations must have a 'Thunderbolt Share' license. So 'Thunderbolt Share' needs to be licensed on one of your devices (either a PC or a docking station).

BTW, Thunderbolt Share sounds a bit like the "Target Disk Mode" on Mac computers. Although, this only works with one of the devices booted into a special recovery mode.

Reactions: JamesJones44
D

Deleted member 2731765

Although, it won’t work for legacy Thunderbolt 3 or USB devices either — not officially, anyway, but there is a workaround.

td47

Honorable
Jan 14, 2019
I always have my systems set up to have the same Windows login/pw and set sharing on for those folders/libraries that I need network access to. If you have a well set up router and WiFi (i.e. extender or mesh in a large house of Home/Office), then there is no real issue using DRAG/DROP or folder sync software do do this.