Question Thunderbolt vs USB Type-C Marketing

Aug 12, 2020
I couldn't really find a clear answer about this anywhere so I figured someone here may know.

I have been looking for a new monitor and noticed some of them have USB Type-C outputs that aren't marketed as thunderbolt but say they can transfer data. I realize that this means that I will be able to use things like thumb drives or keyboard/mouse, but will it also be able to transfer internet into the device that is connected to the monitor? (i.e. my laptop that is connected to the monitor via the USB Type-C port)?

usb Type c is a physical connector.
its just a reversible connector you can plug in things, what it does is up to the manufacturer.

It can carry normal usb, both 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2. (or 3.2X2 i hate that name)
It can carry power, up to 65 watts if im not mistaken, but do check me.
It can carry displayport.
OR
It can carry thunderbolt, which is all of the above, with 4x pcie lanes. or 40gigabit transfer speed.

If a type c port is not mentioned as anything, Its a normal usb plug, just using the the type c connector.
If it has a little DP on it, it carries display port
And as for power, there usually no little icon, so check on the manufacturers website.
p.s. usually type c that provides power is the closest to the display.

For thunderbolt, there is almost always, well, a little thunderbolt, but again, check on the manufacturer page.

Aug 12, 2020
Thanks for the reply. I understood that much about USB Type-C, I just didn't know if monitors were capable of passing internet through from the USB Type-A slots into the USB Type-C output allowing my laptop to receive internet the same way a laptop would when using a thunderbolt dock. I would be using an ethernet to USB Type-A adapter and plugging it into the USB Type-A slots on the monitor.
Thanks for the reply. I understood that much about USB Type-C, I just didn't know if monitors were capable of passing internet through from the USB Type-A slots into the USB Type-C output, allowing my laptop to receive internet the same way a laptop would when using a thunderbolt dock even if they're not marketed as being able to do so (these monitors are marketed as being able to pass peripherals through via the USB Type A slots to USB Type-C but they don't specify internet). I would be using an ethernet to USB Type-A adapter and plugging it into the USB Type-A slots on the monitor.