THX TruStudio just stopped working

flimshaw

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
I turned on my computer and tried to watch a movie. I do not have the best speakers so I use the THX TruStudio program that came pre-installed on my pc. It worked fine until today. I really like how it made my not so great speakers bearable to listen to.

I have just recently upgraded to windows 10 (I'm still not sure if I like it or not). There have been a few teething issues but it seems to be running stable. My PC is an ACER Predator G7750 that I just recently got running after buying it used (the video card died the first time I turned it on after cleaning it). Thanks to the forum at Toms Hardware it was diagnosed and suggestions were made in regard to a replacement card.

When I open the THX TruStudio panel, it gives me an error saying that the selected audio device is not supported, and an option to choose another, but all choices lead to same error. It worked until today. there have been no changes to my computer since I last used the THX program (no new software/hardware or updates).

I cannot find where I can download this program.

I do not think the audio device drivers are an issue because I do still get sound...but just for good measure I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I still cannot get anywhere with this.

Anyone know why/what caused this to happen and any possible fix/alternative for this. My speakers sound truly awful without this.

****Update****

Acer will not provide support as my pc is out of warranty (surprise surprise)
THX says its Acer's problem
Microsoft points at OEM

Success!!! I have finally devised a solution. I swapped the hard drive, ran the recovery discs (Installing Windows 7) and found that the missing component were the REALTEK drivers (which I had no idea were even there) I copied these to a flash drive, swapped the hd, installed the drivers in Windows 10 and it works. Now I have decent sound again. Thanks again to the folks here who helped me yet again.

Solution
Success!!! I have finally devised a solution. I swapped the hard drive, ran the recovery discs (Installing Windows 7) and found that the missing component were the REALTEK drivers (which I had no idea were even there) I copied these to a flash drive, swapped the hd, installed the drivers in Windows 10 and it works. Now I have decent sound again. Thanks again to the folks here who helped me yet again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it seems the only way to get software is with a computer: http://thx-trustudio-pc.software.informer.com/

You need the dvd it came on to be able to reinstall it. though there is this: http://www.download82.com/download/windows/thx-trustudio-pro/

You can also go to control panel/uninstall a program and highlight program listing and select repair. It might fix it

flimshaw

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions. No repair option and the software downloaded from the link will not work at all. It now does not detect any sound devices...I guess I'm SOL on this one...back to win 7.

flimshaw

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions No repair option and the software downloaded from the link will not work at all. It now does not detect any sound devices. However, I have found a solution. Instead of reverting to windows 7, I grabbed another hard drive , swapped it and ran recovery discs. I then found the missing drivers from REALTEK (which I had no idea were there and that was what was missing) I grabbed them, put them on a flash drive, swapped the hd again and installed the drivers. And it works. Yay. And now I can run both win 7 and 10.

flimshaw

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015

Solution

flimshaw

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015

Greenhauler

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016
Had this happen to me also. I took filmshaw's suggestion and tried it and it worked! Thanks man.

I just uninstalled the Win 10 Realtek drivers and downloaded the Win 7 Realtek drivers. Installed the win 7 drivers, restarted the computer and tried the THX settings and heard the difference. THX is back. :)