TI-4400/4600 with silent cooling? Best choice?

Raffe

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2002
I currently have a relatively quiet system with a not-to-noisy 28dB CPU-fan + some case-fans running at 7 volts. I want to buy a powerful Geforce-4 TI-card, but Im somewhat worried about increasing heat & fan-noise problem with the evermore powerful graphics-cards. Im not interesting in overclocking-races - I just want the fastest graphic-card generation available running at default factory-settings, thats <i>still</i> runs quieter then 28 dB, or less.

I read a swedish review of the Creative Geforce-4 TI-4400 card, where the reviewer commented: "Cannot complain about the noise-level; One could hardly hear it".
Great I thought - until i stumbled across some Creative TI-4600 related comment from Toms Hardware ( <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q1/020304/geforce4-04.html" target="_new">Click here</A> ):

Quote: "While it is quite a visual treat and does an excellent job, it is very loud and its sound bears resemblance to that of a blow-drier for your hair. Not exactly something you'd want around you when you're trying to work. Creative/ MSI should rethink their choice of components here and find an alternative."

Hmm - not so good. Avoid. Then I spotted the Leadtek Geforce TI-4600 card, with its huge heatsink ( <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q1/020304/geforce4-06.html" target="_new">Click here</A> ). Toms hardware commented:

Quote: "Thankfully, this massive cooling solution isn't overly noisy, although it is far from quiet. Still, it makes a lot less noise than Creative's 'blow-drier'."

OK, maybe this one is something for me. Then I read yet another Leadtek TI-4600 GamePC review-comment ( <A HREF="http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/hardware_review.asp?review=gf4ti&page=14&mscssid=&tp=" target="_new">Click here</A> ):

Quote: "As for the much heralded Leadtek Winfast A250 Ultra TD card that everyone is talking about, we were somewhat disappointed in this card, not only because it didn't overclock incredibly faster than the competition, but also was <i>quite a bit louder</i> compared to other GeForce4 cards in testing." (My Italics).

Arrrgh! :( I realise that whats is considered "too noisy" is very subjective and vary greatly from one indevidual to the next. But if someone here shares my ambition for reasonably quiet systems, and can give me some tips and ideas on what to choose, I would be greateful. Feel free to describe your own overal system fan-setup, so I can relate your viewpoints to something more objective.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
My Visiontek TI 4600 is...well...silent basically...soooooooooo damn quiet. Seriously, its the quietest graphics card i've ever had. Far as heat goes, the GF 4 isnt all that hot. Its about the same as all the other high end cards. Running temps are all about airflow through the case.

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII

TRENDING THREADS